FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please check out our Green Screen Room

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zvi Twersky
Please check out our Green Screen Room
on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:02:57 pm

Thanks to all that helped so far.

The room is finished except for the lighting.
I took a 60 second video and wanted to ask if you can watch it and tell me if you have any advice before we continue with installing the lighting.

The video is here:
http://

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Please check out our Green Screen Room
on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:45:24 pm

Looks good, nice job.

I would just suggest that if there is any way to mask off the side walls (black curtains, or whatever) that might prove very helpful.

Depending on what you are shooting, if you don't see the side walls and don't need them for keying, then the green side walls aren't helping... they're hurting. They are going to reflect a bit of green back onto your talent. If you need the sides, then yes... it's great to have them. But when they are not needed, it'd be best to have a way to get rid of them.

As Rick said in an earlier post said, you really only need green behind your subject... even if the green doesn't cover the frame you can garbage matte out the rest in post. Anything more than that and you're just creating a reflective surface to add an unwanted green glow to your talent... which won't look good, and just as importantly can affect the quality of the key.

Good job.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:06:15 pm

You still have some green you don't need. The black doesn't completely cover the ceiling. Also, the green coming down the sides to the area that cuts out from the wall looks unnecessary. Yes, the indent will cause shadows. I'd black all that.

Clearly the room is very narrow. Fortunately it looks like you can pull people forward away from the green back wall. The further you are from the green, the less green spill you will be fighting.

If you can, go for the draw-curtains I mentioned earlier.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 30, 2009 at 4:01:22 pm

I would have blacked the ceiling and doubled the green floor length coming out of the alcove into the room, probably using a cloth, painted sheet vinyl flooring used upside-down, or individual painted tiles you can lay down or take up as needed. This would let you shoot from further back, giving room to use some green props for talent to move around/behind, or do nice dolly moves in and out to full-body stand-up shots, as well as capture people actually walking a few feet forward or back in full-body shots. Depends what kind of work you want to do.

The alcove is so narrow it would be hard to light and shoot OTS for more than 2 people sitting very close together. Is there a way to shoot into it from an angle, instead of head-on?

Return to posts index

Zvi Twersky
on Dec 30, 2009 at 4:10:25 pm

Thank you all for the replies.
Yes, there is some room for an angle shoot. Not much though. We didn't have room to extend the floor because behind it will be the editing station and the room is not that big. It's our first build so my boss didn't want to spend TOO much. If we are successful, he will relocate to a bigger place.

Since we were short on space, I will take all the advice you guys gave me into consideration and start working with what I have. I did extend the black some on the ceiling.

Tomorrow or Sunday next week we will be going out of town to purchase lighting. I'll check in once in a while and tell you how it's going. Maybe I'll even upload some work we do and share it with you.

Thank you all again. Please don't stop the advice though. Keep it coming. I'm always open to new ideas and suggestions.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 30, 2009 at 4:16:09 pm

Save some of the green paint in tightly sealed jars for use in matching touch-ups later, (things get chipped or stained over time, especially props and floors). And if you have a lot of it left over, consider pre-painting a prop item or two, simple things like a square or round hip-height column, some dowel rods, a coffee-table-sized cube, and a panel the size of a door. Heck, get a cheap door that's damaged on one side for $20, and paint the good side and edges green, add some feet to the back of this "flat" so it is self-standing. You can combine these props in virtual sets to make convincing doorways, tables, walls, and other furniture, giving the actors some place to walk out from behind, that they can physically relate to in the actual space, which is very helpful to them, and gives you a little less work to do in post doing roto. The rods and cubes are great for "floating" a small product shot, like the box or package for a product. Also paint up some x-shaped and triangle-shaped and L-shaped gaffer tape strips to make tracking targets, if you think you may want to do some green-screen motion-tracking work at some future date. Save some sample cards in case you need to get more paint mixed later that will match. These things are more easy to make up-front than later, under actual production deadlines and budgets.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]