FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting for a small area?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Lighting for a small area?
on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:14:11 pm

I am creating a set within a very small area (my living room). The portion of video that will be within the frame will be around 7-ft wide. I will be standing about 5 ft from the wall (hopefully far enough to not cast shadows on the wall). I will be recording in DVCPRO HD 720P and using Kinos.

1.) Do you think I can use two Diva Lite 400s and a backlight for this OR will I need the larger Kinos (not sure what they are called)?

2.) Do I need four lights? Two for me and two for the background? I do want to make sure the background is lit nicely. I am going to have a screen on the wall that I will later composite video on to.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Lighting for a small area?
on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:22:51 pm

Stan,

I think you have the right idea; two lights left and right to evenly illuminate your chroma key background and two lights on the foreground subject, a key and a backlight. You do not mention what you will magically put in the background, so the last thing to determine is the best possible match of "quality" of light to carry the effect. Day, night, fantasy, etc. The more convincingly you can light the foreground to "marry" the effect of the background the better, unless you're going after the 6 O'clock news look, or virtual set, in which case you just want nice portraiture.

JS

Return to posts index

stan welks
on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:30:45 pm

Hi John,

This project will not be using a green screen. I am going to have a piece of wood I am going to hang on the wall that I am going to paint to look like a LCD that I am going to simply composite images and video on to.

As far as a look, I have not really thought of a lighting look. I have only really intended to make sure everything is evenly lit (I am obviously new to this).

It is going to be a web based technology review show. So I am going to talk about things and then a image of something will appear on the board briefly and then eventually the video will cut full screen to video of that item. It might be an iPod, perhaps a laptop, etc.

1.) Based on this additional info, what lighting arrangement do you recommend?
2.) Is there a lighting mood you can recommend?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 24, 2009 at 12:36:56 am

Stan,

All I'd suggest is that because your subject is high tech and "gee wizz" you have to be careful that the look and set is not too "corny". If it were me, I'd keep it simple and graphic and let the products you're featuring in the reviews take center stage. The product lighting on the taped pieces becomes very important!

JS

Return to posts index

stan welks
on Dec 24, 2009 at 1:27:10 am

Do you think i could do this with 3-point lighting or will I need 5?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]