FORUMS: list search recent posts

BBC World News lighting setup

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gent Ng
BBC World News lighting setup
on Dec 23, 2009 at 9:53:09 am

I'm new to lighting and I'm just curious, does anyone know what might be the lighting set up for the anchor desk of BBC World News? Some tips on how the lights were arranged and what lights used is appreciated. :)

Screen grabs:

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: BBC World News lighting setup
on Dec 23, 2009 at 3:10:59 pm

Look at the "catch lights" in the eyes, and the shadows on the neck and shoulders. It would be easy to determine the lighting plot.
However, I wouldn't try to duplicate this set-up ....especially the lighting on the anchorman. It's not that good.

DS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: BBC World News lighting setup
on Dec 23, 2009 at 3:16:28 pm

Can't say for sure.. but it's pretty flat lighting, a fairly uninteresting lighting design... just my opinion, of course.

Are all of those from the same studio? The pic at the top looks a bit harsher whereas the three at the bottom are super soft and flat. I think the one at the top is more flattering to the talent.

Frankly, I think overall it is not-so-good lighting, especially for a network show in a fixed set.

They would seem to have big soft light sources that wash the set.. I couldn't say what instruments they are, but it could be flo lighting (KinoFlo or Videssence, etc.), or heavily diffused tungsten lighting... perhaps a big bank of softboxes (a television studio here in town has a big bank of probably 10 large softboxes on their news set, gives a similar look).

One thing I notice is the very very dim backlighting on the talent. I usually like more than that, a lot more. That would help the talent "pop" from the background. These guys don't pop... they almost blend with the background, can make the whole scene look a bit mushy.

There are guys in here with a lot more experience than I have in lighting these kinds of sets... I'm sure they will chime in with better advice.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]