FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting Kit Recommendations

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Smith Glover
Lighting Kit Recommendations
on Dec 10, 2009 at 7:29:37 am

Hello-

I am looking to buy a lighting kit. I shoot mostly interviews and local cable ad type videos (nothing too fancy- basic 3-point lighting, not looking to light up an entire room)- and shoot on DV (DVX 100- although I am looking to move up to HD soon). I want something basic, but that I can hopefully build on or at least incorporate into a larger lighting package when our company grows. I am hoping to spend less than $1000 if possible. So far I have mostly used a Lowel package with one Omni light and then the two Tota's- it's worked fine but for all I know there is something much better out there.

I'd love to hear any recommendations anyone might have.

Thanks,

Smith

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Lighting Kit Recommendations
on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:26:38 pm

There have been a great many posts here on this topic. It sounds like what you have is working for now. For $1,000 you will not be able to add much. Areas to consider: LED lights; fluorescent types such as Kinoflos, etc; HMIs; tungsten. Do some homework. Search this forum by topic. Go to BHPHotovideo.com and look there.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 11, 2009 at 12:01:11 am

At this point, all your experience is with open face tungsten lighting.

While exploring fluorescent or LED will help move you toward more modern approaches, none of those will match the color temperature of what you're already using.

So until you're ready to change everything, I'd recommend that your next level of education should revolve around the effect of FRESNEL lenses on tungsten lights.

Fresnel lens technology is the ONLY scientifically solid way to change the qualitative nature of light thrown over distance.

I'd add a medium Arri, or Desisti fresnel to your kit. I'd start with a 650, and perhaps a 300 if you can afford both.

Then you can learn the difference between the qualitative looks of open face vs fresnel lights without any color temperature issues.

FWIW

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:12:11 am

1) find more money

2) buy either the ARRI #571991 SOFTBANK IV Kit; or
the ARRI #571963 SOFTBANK D4 Kit

Can't find the money?

3) Study the kits and their contents ... assemble the fixtures "pre-owned" from the various used lighting equipment outlets

DS

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 11, 2009 at 11:16:06 pm

500w Photo Floods and china lanterns STILL look amazing. A decent set of silks and flags to shape it beyond the china lanterns soft glow does wonders too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]