FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kino Flo and Light Panels

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chance norris
Kino Flo and Light Panels
on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:05:50 pm

I'm building my lighting package and was hoping to get some advice from someone who uses Kino Flo or Lightpanels.

I just purchased a Kino Flo Diva (2) Light kit a couple of weeks ago and now I'm ready to purchase my next light to complement this kit.

Interview shoot - What additional light would be the best to create a creative background? Would the Litepanel super spot 1x1 be a good choice? Would you use a Kino Flo as a backgound light? Would it be easy to control? Should I look for an ARRI for background?

Is the ParaBeam 400 used for location work? How about this light as main key and the 2 divas as fill and background?

Thanks

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Kino Flo and Light Panels
on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:20:21 pm

Chance,

Great choice to start with a 200 Diva. I'd recommend that you now add a 400 and another 200. This gives you 3200K and 5600K flexibility with a strong key, a fill and a backlight. For the backgrounds the best choice in my opinion is an ETC Source Four with a wide lens (like 50 degrees) and a small squeezer (dimmer). With a selsection of patterns and color gels you can create a variety of pleasing background looks.

The Source Four is not easy to put in a case nor travel with, but around town it's easy to throw on top of your gear stack in the truck.

After that a 350/600 ARRI kit and then you'll have to start thinking about an 800 Joker HMI, but maybe I'm getting ahaead of myself.

Good luck,

JS

Return to posts index

chance norris
on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:33:55 pm

Sorry I didn't clarify but the first kit was two Diva 400's. How about the litepanels?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:52:12 pm

OK. Two 400 Divas and two 200 Divas, plus Source Four (or two),

I own a litepanel but as a camera light, and since I bought it there is another on-camera LED light I bought that I much prefer, that being the Zylight.

Zylight also makes a larger panel light, but it's very expensive (as is the Lightpanel) and I don't favor it for portrait or set lighting. These are very specialized units, useful to hide in nooks and crannies and power with batteries, but for the price you can buy more useful general purpose instruments.

The Lightpanels in particular burn green and are not variable color like the Zylight, which offers tungsten and daylight presets and also a full range of colored light.

Just no $.02

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]