FORUMS: list search recent posts

Next Step Up from C-stand?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Evelyn
Next Step Up from C-stand?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:23:02 pm

Hello,

I am searching for a slightly more robust stand than the C-stand, and would like some advice on what that might be.

I've been placing a Lowel Rifa 66 "softbox" on the end of a Matthews Baby Boom, which sits upon a Matthews C-stand, using this configuration over a table and I'm happy with the lighting results.
But, when I need to raise the softbox over six feet, it's too much weight on the C-stand, which bends too much for my comfort level.

What's a better stand to get that boom & light into the air without making the stand groan?

Thanks...

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Next Step Up from C-stand?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:27:24 pm

You want a "Combi" stand. If you just use it in your studio a heavier steel version is best, if you go on location a lot, pay extra and get a lighter aluminum version. All the usual players make these; Mathews, Avenger/Manfroto, American Studio, Arri, etc. Don't forget to use sandbags and extend arm out over the lead leg.

JS

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:34:54 pm

What John said, but also I'll mention, since I'm a long-term fan of them, Bogen Auto-Poles running wall to wall above the scene create a place to hang that Rifa and the cords with NO stands in the shot. Of course it's not ideal for every situation, just another tool in the arsenal, but perhaps it may be useful here.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 23, 2009 at 4:15:23 pm

the Avenger Baby Roller stands are pretty sturdy and can get pretty high. But as with anything that is high or extends out from the base, counterweight and sandbags are a must.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]