FORUMS: list search recent posts

Diva 400

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nasser Al-Misned
Diva 400
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:52:39 pm

Hello

What will be the ideal option for hair/back light along with Diva-400 as key light.
I added Arri 650 then noticed that different color temperature will cause WB problem , I have the Sony EX1 and Canon XHA1.
My aim is to shoot one person interview mostly will be indoor.

Thanks

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Diva 400
on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:24:23 pm

My habit has always been to use the same "type" of light for key-fill-backlight set. In this case a Diva 200 would be appropriate.

JS

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:58:58 pm

Solution #1: John's post above: use a Diva 200 for a back light if you are using a 400 for a key.

Solution #2: are you tubing the Diva with tungsten bulbs? If they are daylight, there will be a huge difference. The cheapest way to correct that problem would be to gel the 650 (which is probably way too hot and needs to be scrimmed way down) with 1/2 CTB. The back light will then be pleasantly warm. However, if your interviewee is silver haired, add another 1/4 to 1/2 CTB to cool the light even more.

Whether you tube with tungsten or daylight, Divas tend to have a green spike. A 1/8 or 1/4 minus-green gel (magenta) should cure that. Osram tubes seem to run to a more true color.

There was a series of posts on CML about how the EX1 seems to react to Divas differently from true tungsten lights. I found no convincing posts. In any case, test with some color-correcting gels to even things out. A little trial and error and you should be good to go.

Remember, color variations run along two axes: the blue-orange axis (CTB/CT0) and the Green-Magenta axis (Plus-Green/Minus-Green.)

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Nasser Al-Misned
on Oct 23, 2009 at 10:24:01 am

Thanks Folks
How about getting the Arri 150 as kick/back light and use 3200 tungsten bulbs with the Diva 400 , will this work ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]