FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap Indie Lighting: High School Classroom/Hallway/Washrooms

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stu Segal
Cheap Indie Lighting: High School Classroom/Hallway/Washrooms
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:19:13 pm

Hey All,

I've been reading up on some of the threads about lighting a High School Hallway for a night school to make it look unnatural or ominous. I am aiming for the exact opposite effect. I'm shooting a silent 16mm bolex film in a H.S. Daytime. The classroom will probablly be ok with the natural light source, but the hallway and washrooms less so. How would I go about lighting this source with a limited budget. The only lights provided for us are a basic three point lighting kit.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Cheap Indie Lighting: High School Classroom/Hallway/Washrooms
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:40:24 pm

Well, firstly, a couple of questions (seven, actually)....

What stock are you shooting? 7277 might be ok, 7274 or anything slower than that and you are probably going to be facing some exposure challenges.

How fast are your lenses?

What kinds of instruments (and wattages) are in your three-point kit?

What is your action/blocking? A couple of actors standing and talking in a hallway is one thing, but if they walk-and-talk 30 yards down the hallway that's something else.

What kind of available light (if any) is in the non-classroom areas? Any windows? Flos?

Are any other lighting instruments available? Even non-photographic instruments, such as shoplights, clip-ons, or halogen work lights?

What kinda of "look" are you going for? Something beautiful? Something grittier more documentaryish/natural? Other?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Stu Segal
Re: Cheap Indie Lighting: High School Classroom/Hallway/Washrooms
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:08:39 am

The stock I'm looking at shooting on are Kodak Vision3 500T 7219 colour negative...i'm also looking at higher ASA speeds to play with the exposure ie - Kodak Vision 800T 7289 colour neg.

I'm using a 16mm bolex with option of a wide, medium, and telephoto lens. I could probably rent others if you have sugestions.

My 3 points kit comes with 2 650s and a 1k.

My action takes places in 4 locals: a classroom of children running around with a few close-ups and tracking shots. The hallways is for tracking from a medium/long shot, washroom has all types of shots from closeup to long and outside i want to be overexposed, so obviously don't need anything but our natural sun to light it.

The classroom has big rectangular windows looking outside. The hallway (at one end) has a window looking out - the hallway is illuminated with soften florecent fixtures. I can't remember if the washroom has translucent windows or no natural light.

Again, I could probably purchase/rent other equipment.

The film has two settings: One is a natural (not exactly documentary, since it is staged - rather in the moment following the events that occur) and then there is a more dream like staight (our main character goes into a dream sequence).

You rock for taking the time to respond!

Stu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]