FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arri 1k open face are melting !

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Becquiot
Arri 1k open face are melting !
on Sep 26, 2009 at 2:39:23 am

I just noticed today that a couple of our newer open face 1k are melting on the top edge. These are most often used with the medium and large chimera boxes. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Arri 1k open face are melting !
on Sep 26, 2009 at 3:53:41 am

Yep...that's not uncommon.
As a matter of fact our company just relit MARTHA STEWART, and there was a some concern about using the open face units on the 30 Chimeras we put in the studio.

Several years ago (9 to be precise) ARRI actually recalled those units as there were several instances were they actually burst into flames ...twice in front of me .... once LIVE on ABC-TV's ELECTION NIGHT SPECIAL with Peter Jennings (Bush/Gore coverage). After a long day of coverage, at about 2 in the morning (remember how late results were for that electrion?), one of the chimeras actually burst into flames along with the light...causing the unflappable and debonaire Jennings to calmly tell the world that one of his lights was on fire. My electrician ran out to the studio floor with an extinguisher and put out the fire while cameras documented the event (the most lively thing to happen for hours) for millions of people.
Another time, while I was standing on the set for GOOD MORNING AMERICA talking with Diane Sawyer, balls of fire-engulfed-plastic plummeted between us setting the carpet on fire. I looked up to see an ARRI 1kw open face in flames.
Any compact fixture that is enclosed in a lightbank would be prone to overheating, this particular unit however, was the only one I've seen actually react so adversely.

DS

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Sep 27, 2009 at 6:09:23 pm

Thanks Dennis. It just seems strange that the older models are actually still like new, I wonder if the plastic compound has changed over the years.

We'll be sure to keep that top flap open...

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:30:34 pm

Can't say about Chimeas, but Rifas are made using Nomex: they can char, but won't burn. Leaving air gaps for cooling is obviously important, whatever your setup.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:42:03 am

Wow ... something that a Lowell light won't burn! :-)

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:50:58 pm

I recall the recall, I had two Arri 1k open face lights, they put new housings on them for me, free of charge.

You should contact Arri, this can be dangerous. These are one of the hottest lights I own, when used in a softbox especially. Not sure if the recall is still on but they might just replace them for you anyway. Never hurts to ask. Arri has surprised me more than once by fixing stuff free of charge on their lights when I expected to pay for a repair.

Same with the older black yoke to stand tie downs. The old black and blue ones strip out, the replaced all of mine for free with the newer dull silver metallic ones that don't strip.

Arri is a good company.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]