FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview ligting at night and outdoors?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Steele
Interview ligting at night and outdoors?
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:40:41 pm

I don't know much about lighting but I'm going to do an interview with some people outdoors, by a lake, and in the dark. I have a 3 piece kit. It would be nice to illuminate the water in the background but I want to be able to see their faces as well. Any tips for setting this shot up?

I also have access to other lights if necessary. Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Interview ligting at night and outdoors?
on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:01:47 pm

Austin,

The lake in the background of your shot is like a mirror; during the day it reflects the sky and clouds above. At night it reflects the darkness. It cannot be lit per se. The best you can do is put a light on the opposite bank from where you'll be shooting and create sparckly highlights on the rippling water (best to place the light high enough to be out of the shot).

Another alternative is shoot at magic hour, when there is still enough ambiance to see the background. This presumes you have control of when the interview will be done and that it will last only a short period of time. If neither of these are true, you best wait until it's full night and maybe twist the background to see the edge of the lake where it meets the shore and a bit of water. These are objects that you might be able to light with you minimal kit.

JS

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: Interview ligting at night and outdoors?
on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:26:11 pm

What John says....and you may be able to use some car headlights to punch up the backround ambience.
Just make sure the cars are far enough away so that their engines won't pollute your audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]