FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help me spend my money

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Dufilho
Help me spend my money
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:59:57 pm

I'm the director/shooter/editor for my hospital's internal marketing department. We just purchased an HPX300 with a Letus Ultimate along with a lot of new grip and support equipment.

I have about $4500 left to spend on lighting. We have two Lowell kits with a total of: 2 500W Riffa softboxes, 3 500W omni lights, 3 750W tota lights, 2 250W pro lights.

We will be shooting internal, web, and broadcast commercial projects.

My question is what would you recommend adding to the kit? I had been thinking 2K softlights, 1K open face lights with softboxes, open face fresnels, ambient lights (ala Chimera birdcage), flourescents?

We will have an annual budget for new purchases and upgrades, and can also rent larger lights if needed, but I was looking for some recommendations with the provided budget.

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Todd Terry
Re: Help me spend my money
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:57:19 pm

I shoot in a quite a few hospitals and other health care facilities... and I'm heavily dependent on HMI lighting there, since so many of the spaces are very large, or so often the spaces I need to shoot in have large windows.

You have a tungsten package already... it's not huge, but it's decent and could likely cover most average hospital-type settings in a medium-sized or smaller environment. Because of that, if I were you I might consider throwing some of the rest of my dough into daylight equipment. You're not going to be able to buy a new HMI arsenal with what you have left... but if you shopped around and got lucky you could probably pick up a decent used 1200w HMI and maybe one smaller daylight instrument. Or maybe a couple of Joker-Bugs with not too many miles on them if you got really lucky, maybe a 800w Joker and a 400w. Those would serve you very well for environments that already have a lot (or some) daylight... no more wrestling with color temps, gelling tungsten instruments, or covering windows.

Actually... my first inclination would be to make sure you have all the grip equipment you need... C-stands, bounce cards, grip heads, sandbags, arms, cutters, flags, maybe at least one 4x4 frame, etc. But you said your purchase has already included a lot of grip equipment, so maybe you are already covered in those areas. If so, then I'd consider some daylight instruments.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:53:31 pm

Todd, get out of my head, this was almost word for word what I was going to say, even down to suggesting the Joker-Bug. One thing you left off, and hard to say if it makes a difference, is what kind of lighting he uses, if any, for close-up work in surgery and the like. Probably he's going with just what the O.R. is using there.
Other ideas:

Always own a roll of black foil.
Buy more gels.
Buy a nice cookie, or some apple boxes.
What about some plug-ins for post to goof around more with colors? Magic Bullet Looks comes to mind, you'd probably get some use out of that.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:55:22 pm

Oh, what about a nice chromakey drop? Large one, with enough to hit the floor for full-body work. What that's good for is putting people in scenes that are available but hard to shoot during normal hours. You can shoot halls and rooms as plates, then composite later, yet not interfere with daily hospital operations.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:46:31 am

Surprisingly (because you shoot in a hospital) you own a lot of inefficient, heat-producing, instrumentation. I would suggest you buy a few LED Lite-panels and a Kino Flo Diva 400 and 200 ..... plus the necessary grip gak and accessories.

DS

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
john sharaf
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:53:11 am

My favorite units for shooting in hospitals (and other fluorescent locations like schools, industrial kitchens and newsrooms) is 4' Fourbank Kinos "poisoned" with the same lamps as in the ceiling. For your budget you could buy three and have money left over for more grip stuff.

JS

Return to posts index

Matt Dufilho
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:53:38 am

This is great, guys. Thank you for the input.

You're absolutely right about our current equipment, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing about a Kino/LitePanels combo. I've never worked with flourescents, but I would love to have the flexibility to easily jump between color temperatures and also cut down on some weight/heat.

Questions:

1. Is there a specific level of green gel that I should use to "poison" a Kino to match a standard flourescent bulb, if I'm doing quick shooting around the hospital?

2. I'm thinking of making a shift in the budget to allow for more grip equipment, please let me know your thoughts on the list below:

c-stands/arms/heads - quantities? 40" and 20"?

flags/scrims/cutters - good sizes to use/quantities?

4x4 (as mentioned above) - foamcore, right? Todd, read another post you did last year about scoring and folding one when using a quaker clamp...sounds like it would work well.

clamps/holders - any that you wouldn't leave the studio without?

apple boxes - most common sizes?

sand bags

What am I not thinking of?

Thank you guys, so much for the free education. I'm heading out to AbelCineTech next week for a course to get me up to speed on the HPX300. Maybe I should run over and talk to the Kino guys and have them give me a crash course too.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to help.

Matt Dufilho

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:09:42 pm

Concept of "poisoning" 4' Kino's is to lamp the unit with the same tubes that are in the ceiling, then white balance. Voila, color is perfect and you have not gelled anything. Also buy Tungsten and daylight tubes for Kinos and use then where appropriate.

As far as grip equipment is concerned, c-stands are appropriate to hold Kinos so buy one for each light plus 3-4 more for grip work. Sandbags for every stand. Apple boxes in pairs of each size for minimum of eight (two fulls, halfs, quarters, pancakes). Flags same in sets of solid, silk, single and double in both 18x24 and 24x36 sizes. Nice addition is Backstage Studio Equipment grip "taco" cart to hold 8 c stands, 8 apple boxes, drawer for hangers and sandbags. Very appropriate for rolling around a hospital.

JS

Return to posts index

Matt Dufilho
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:01:39 pm

I guess you need to have a 4' Kino to do this. You couldn't do the same with a 400 or 200?

Return to posts index

Matt Dufilho
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:12:37 pm

OK, I'm getting a much more concrete picture of what I'm needing thanks to all of you.

So, the next question is where would you go to order all of this grip. I'm in Texas. I've been looking at B&H for pricing info, but what are your suggestions?

Thanks again.

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Dufilho
on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:18:14 pm

Guys,

Thank you for all of your insight. I returned from Kino Flo and Matthews in Burbank, and I think we've put together a great package of additional lighting and grip to get us started. Your input helped a great deal in getting me up to speed. Thank you again for your time and advice.

Matt Dufilho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]