FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap Genny

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Cheap Genny
on Aug 18, 2009 at 3:01:14 pm

I noticed yesterday that my local Home Depot store has some little Honeywell generators on clearance... they had five of them for only $150, regularly I think they were something like $375.

According to the specs on the box they were rated for 2K continuous load.

Think they would be likely to be able to pull a 1200w HMI? Or is that just asking for trouble? I don't know how much juice the HMI pulls when it strikes, but I know that is typically somewhat more then when they are running.

Also it said it was a "Silent" generator... usually with those li'l camping gennys the ones that claim to be "silent" are more in the 65 dBA-ish neighborhood... which of course is not truly silent by any stretch, but isn't too bad either.

Thoughts?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Cheap Genny
on Aug 18, 2009 at 3:27:49 pm

You should get 2 of these if they are only $150 each, I'm on the phone right now to my HD right now looking for them.

Should be plenty for one 1200 hmi

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:27:30 pm

Just an update in case anyone else is looking for these.... you won't find them.

I went by the store and got an admission of a temporary pricing screw up. The generators were supposed to have been marked $150 off but instead for a short time were marked as $150 as the price. Not sure if they sold any of them before the error was discovered.

I guess when a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:30:59 pm

Still $299 is a great value for an inverter 2000 watt generator.
I think I'll pick one up.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:24:37 pm

I picked up one of these and it is pretty quiet, I still need to put a load on it. I have an old open face 2k that I will try. It is a little bigger than a Honda and a little heavier. I called the only Home Depot in the south bay this morning and they had 10, by the time I got there they had 5 left. Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:05:41 am

Hey Mike.... so how quiet is "pretty quiet"?

Say... quiet enough for sound recording in a medium-quiet exterior setting with the generator 100' or less away?

I've got miles of 10-gauge ballast cable, but my experience with voltage drop over distance (from mains) generally starts being occasionally troublesome at over 100'. A couple of weeks ago we had a 300' run to the nearest mains powering a 1200w and 575w HMI, but did have trouble striking the bigger one. After it fired it ran fine, but took a couple of dozen attempted strikes to get it to catch. Obviously the closer I could get the generator, the better.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:16:39 am

Quiet enough I'd say. 10 gauge is worth 30 amps so those cables will help fight the line loss.
Here is the specs to this unit.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1...

Return to posts index

Gilbert Navarro
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:36:56 pm

Read the section about Generators at:

http://www.galaxylightingrepair.com/tech_tips.html

Return to posts index

JB Letchinger
on Aug 23, 2009 at 5:11:48 am

I always thought you had to have a crystal controlled generator for HMIs.
The Hondas we rent are always crystal controlled. The problem is flicker - the voltage and hz is just not regulated on generators which have not been modified.... hence they are OK for tungsten/worklights... Look under the hood of any rental genny from a production supply or lighting house and you'll see a crystal voltage regulator...

JB

JBL Films, Inc.

please vist

http://www.jblfilms.com

http://www.jblfilmsinc.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]