FORUMS: list search recent posts

Emergency Lighting Ideas

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Mims
Emergency Lighting Ideas
on Aug 13, 2009 at 11:31:44 pm

Inexpensive fill lighting for when you are in a pinch:
Most large cities have at least one Harbor Freight. I just bought a flood light on a magnet base for $ 12. in store, $10 on web site. (Item 90766-4VGA) Place a compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL) [check out: Green Electric Supply (dot com) for 5K Kelvin Par = to 75w] (or place a par spot light) in the flood and you have a quick fill light for under twenty bucks that can be placed on something metal or remounted to work with a C stand. CowboyStudio Photography has: "Professional Aluminum Adjustable Light Stand - 8051" for $ 25 That's pretty cheap for a light stand. Granted, it is not a heavy duty Century light stand, but then, it will fit into your trunk and set up quickly in a corporate office. Nothing beats a good Lowel Light kit. I like the VIP series a lot because it is low wattage and does not blast a room with too much light. If your budget will not support a VIP or other Lowel kit, think about the three sources above and create your own inexpensive emergency kit.
Now for location lighting such as a road side shoot or away from a standard 120 volt electric outlet, check out also at Harbor Freight their halogen fog spot beams. They have a pair for $ 17 that work off your car voltage (Item 37536-1VGA) or their Halogen spot light (500,000-candlepower beam plugs into cigarette lighter) item 40809-3VGA. With that much light output you will have to bounce it or scrim it to take off the edge, but with the right creative talent, you can do wonders with very little cash outlay. It has to be better than what a fellow film maker friend had to do in a pinch-he got all of the crew's vehicles pointed in the same direction with their lights on for the wrap shot after the sun went down.
If your budget will support expensive lighting kits, then you should, but if you can't, start looking for other ways to get the job done. ImageWest studio is another source for inexpensive lighting equipment. Hope this helps anyone in a crunch these days.

Mims

Return to posts index

Rina Zoom
Re: Emergency Lighting Ideas
on Oct 15, 2015 at 9:51:51 pm

Hi, I think they have not so expensive lighting kits here, this is my source; https://www.mrosupply.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]