FORUMS: list search recent posts

chroma green fabric for flood light

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian MacLean
chroma green fabric for flood light
on May 28, 2009 at 12:28:51 am

I'm getting a couple of Fluorescent flood lights (18" Reflector) to light a 9' paper greenscreen backdrop. I'd like to supersaturate the backdrop by stretching some green fabric over the reflector, but I'm not sure where to look or what, exactly, to get.

Any specific recommendations would be great. I'm imagining some kink of parachute / spinnaker nylon fabric, but had a poly muslin recommended to me by the nice lady at Rose Brand. I didn't find anything on this specific setup searching this topic, but did try. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: chroma green fabric for flood light
on May 28, 2009 at 4:18:06 am

Why not just use color correction color media?

Here are 3 suggestions:

1) LEE Filters #244 "Lee Plus Green"

2) LEE Filters #243 "Lee Fluorescent 3600K"

or the "very bold"

3) Rosco #4460 "60 green"

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 28, 2009 at 4:32:36 am

" I'd like to supersaturate the backdrop by stretching some green fabric over the reflector"
Adding fabric will reduce the lumens from the lamp. Follow Dennis's recommendations. Just make sure you control the light to only the back drop. Its one thing to add light to the green screen but once you add color to these lights it must be contained to the area it is intended.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ian MacLean
on May 29, 2009 at 5:43:05 pm

Perfect, thanks. I think I read the fabric suggestion as a budget tip, but at around $20 a sheet, I can afford the filter (and JCX has them).

How about tips on mounting the sheet to the reflector? I could cut the sheet into a circle, fit it in, and hold it there with black foil. Unless there are better suggestions? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 29, 2009 at 5:37:03 pm

Just get some good old fashion wooden clothes pins (aka C-47's) and clip the gel on the front lamp. You can either purchase some Black Wrap or use use cooking foil from the kitchen drawer to create a snoot that extends beyond the front of the lamp over the gel to contain the light.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on May 29, 2009 at 8:50:10 pm

$20 dollars a sheet??? !!!!!
Buy it somewhere else. Your vendor is robbing you. Color media shouldn't cost more than $8.00/per 24" sheet.
Once you settle in on the exact color correction that works best, buy a junior roll (for about $75.00). This colored mylar will fade with use/time, and you'll need to replace it.

As for attaching the color to your fixture -- be creative (but good old fashioned gaffers tape, or black tak, is my method of choice).

DS

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on May 30, 2009 at 12:36:19 am

The black wrap will be very handy for "shrouding" the fixtures so that no green spill goes anywhere. Bottomers and siders ought to do it.

Return to posts index

Ben Ferrer
on May 30, 2009 at 5:15:40 am

JCX certainly doesn't charge that much per sheet. I would double check your quote.

Ben Ferrer
DP – Transvideo Studios
Mountain View, CA

Return to posts index

Ian MacLean
on May 30, 2009 at 6:21:58 am

I did get the quote wrong. It was in fact $7/sheet at JCX. So I got both the recommended Lee colors and think I'll be set. Many thanks. As advised, I'll tape the gell in place, and use Black Foil to control spill.

The inexpensive two light kit I'm getting from Impact (VA903) comes with a diffuser disk. I'll try it with and without of course, but any recommendations ahead of time? I haven't even ordered the kit yet...

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on May 31, 2009 at 2:09:35 am

You're only using 2 of these lights ...for a 9'-0" greenscreen wall ??
You should have at least 3.

What are you using on your subject?

DS

Return to posts index

Ian MacLean
on Jun 1, 2009 at 3:38:38 am

see new post. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]