FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cucalorus for Matthews Road Rags?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Varner
Cucalorus for Matthews Road Rags?
on May 8, 2009 at 1:44:00 pm

Hey Everyone-

Does anyone know if anyone makes a cucalorus "rag" for Matthews Road Rags? I've been told they exist, but am having a hard time finding.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Cucalorus for Matthews Road Rags?
on May 8, 2009 at 1:57:41 pm

I've never seen one in my 28 years of film production, but I'd bet someone has made one. The challenge would be to make a dappling design that doesn't move so there would need to be a second or third layer added to the rig.

If you are looking for some dappling movement use a camouflage net, I'm sure you can find one at a Army/Navy surplus store.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Chris Varner
on May 8, 2009 at 2:04:27 pm

Thanks Michael. Great idea.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 10, 2009 at 10:59:48 pm

I'd never go on any shoot without black wrap in my kit.
I'd also never go on any shoot without my Gerber/Leatherman whatver multitool.

So I can't see the advantage of lugging a commercial dappleloris when I already have everything I need to make one to my exact specifications in less than 2 minutes.

FWIS

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 10, 2009 at 11:54:45 pm

Smaller 4x4 and smaller Wood and Cello Kooks have been around for ever and creativity with black wrap is great.

However making up a black wrap Kook frame (6x6 on up) would really only work on a studio set and would be preposterous to attempt outside.

Oh and those multi (camping) tools, well IMO they are great for camping.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on May 11, 2009 at 12:12:08 am

"preposterous" ???

Well that pretty much sums up 90% of what we're asked to accomplish most of the time!
DS

P.S. I've done 6'-0" black wrap cuks !

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on May 11, 2009 at 2:12:12 am

He's talking "Road Rags" - they're small. 18" x 24", I think.

And I do the foil-a-loris a lot. I even have some that I keep as well as I can for some clients who want the same "look" next time, or to match a recording to a live shot.

Whatever works, dude...

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on May 11, 2009 at 6:39:36 pm

Brancholoris are sometimes handy. Walk outside, locate a branch or tree that will not harm to harvest from, snap off a small, leaf covered branch, rig to C-stand in front of light (not too close to source). About as "natural" as you can get.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Jay Curtis
on May 11, 2009 at 10:48:04 pm

OK, not going to try to add an "oloris" to the end of this one, but spend $3 on a piece of foam core at your local arts and crafts store. Sketch out your pattern with a pencil, then take a box knife to it.

You can grip clamp it to your road rags frame, or clamp it to a C-stand. When it finally wears out, head back to the craft store.

The advantage to "real" cookies is their durability, but with durability, comes weight. The foam core version is disposable, but both lightweight and inexpensive.

Return to posts index

Chris Varner
on May 11, 2009 at 11:33:13 pm

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 13, 2009 at 5:14:29 am

Well, I don't really camp anymore. But I do shoot in Arizona. And maybe you don't have Cholla cactus in your area - but we do. And when someone gets careless - something with GOOD needle nose pliers is worth it's weight in titanium out here.

Plus not having to go looking for scissors to cut gels, a small flat screwdriver (that with a small bit of one-time grinding) will do a "tweeker's job of setting recessed trim pots and even field strip XLR connectors, PLUS GOOD wire cutters, a phillips head screw driver that lets you field service Arri lights — all in one belt pouch is something that's EARNED it's way onto my hip - tho I lend it to my crew guys more than I DIY - but it's typically a LOT easier than having them run back to the grip truck over and over again for individual tools.

Time is money. Time on a live set is often LOTS of money. Gerber Freehand FTW.

My 2 cents anyway - YMMV.

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on May 22, 2009 at 11:14:26 am

Hi, you might want to look at these

http://www.lightbreak.com/

I use them pinned to a frame in front of a 650 frensel
Does a decent job , puts a nice backgound to a plain wall
Thing i like is they travel well, roll them up right in the jelly roll

Later
Tom