FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blocking light from window options?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Blocking light from window options?
on Feb 19, 2009 at 10:15:40 pm

What are the pros/cons of using Duvatene vs. gels to block sunlight coming through windows? Can anyone recommend a specific type of duvatene or type of gel to do this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Blocking light from window options?
on Feb 19, 2009 at 10:23:26 pm

You can block light from windows with anything opaque; duv is standard but is expensive, unless you already have 4x4, 6x6 or 12x12 from overhead set. Otherwise you can use foamcore, showcard or even dark colored visqueen (cheap). Of course if you need ambience in the room you could also use grip equipment outside the window to block direct sunlight and create in effect "northlight" or even use white diffusion (or silk) over the window. As you can see there are many options, just keep in mind the movement of the sun and anticipate its travel in your planning.

JS

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 19, 2009 at 10:23:52 pm

Duvatene, expensive but silent.
Gel, If you are speaking about ND then expensive but controllable.

You could possibly use black Visqueen, not to expensive but could create noise.
This is a building material that comes in various size rolls found at most lumber yards.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 19, 2009 at 11:05:36 pm

The local fabric store will have "blackout" cloth, $15/foot. (This is the stuff they use in Alaska when it's light 24hrs straight.)

Return to posts index

Peter Rummel
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:51:54 pm

Duvetyne and gels give totally different effects. If your aim is to totally block out the light, then duvetyne would be what you want. (Or, as John Sharaf pointed out, anything else opaque). Duvetyne is kind of expensive, easy to pack, and is reusable almost indefinately. It's also treated with a fire retardant coating. Just sayin'.

You would use gels if you want some light to come through the windows, just not as much. You need the large rolls of gels - using sheets isn't going to work. ND (neutral density gel - gray gel that doesn't alter the color of the light) comes in various strengths - .3, .6, .9 and 1.2 (1 stop, 2 stop, 3 stop, 4 stop). There is also ND gel with a CTO color. You would use this if you wanted to change the color of the daylight coming in the windows to a tungsten balance (~3200).

On the DIY front, sometimes instead of an expensive gel you can use a black veil from the fabric store or a porch screen material to knock down the light. This only works if the window is really out of focus, or you'll see the pattern of the fabric.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:45:47 pm

When I've needed a more "permanent" solution to window light "pollution", and didn't want to deal with hanging fabric or cutting foamcore/artcard/wood, I've successfully applied black contact paper to the window. It's cheap and does the job. It's also pretty damn quick.
My favorite solution, which is also neater and more professional, (and easier to remove), is to use GREAT AMERICAN MARKET's GAM FLOOR.

Check this out:

http://www.gamonline.com/catalog/gamfloor/index.php

My product of choice is: matte soft black #VFGF232

DS

P.S. I do lighting, windows, AND floors!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:56:15 pm

Hey THAT's cool stuff, Dennis.... Thanks!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Feb 21, 2009 at 12:05:47 am

You're welcome. If it's cheap and quick I've probably done it!

With all due respect to GREAT AMERICAN MARKET I should probably point out that this stuff is really great for a quick (and long lasting) floor treatment.
I've had great luck changing the color of studio floors with it ...especially when clients aren't allowed to paint a rental facility's floor. It's easily removable also.
The white floor is especially useful in completing an "endless" white cyc.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]