FORUMS: list search recent posts

amateur seeking advice on spotlights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Narendra Haynes
amateur seeking advice on spotlights
on Jan 11, 2009 at 5:57:48 pm

i need a spotlight that is light enough to be carried by hand and powerful enough to produce a crisp rectangle on a wall from 10-15 ft away. i am trying to balance economy of weight and price with a fairly decent effect. i have used a source four zoom which has the effect i want but it is far brighter than what i need and quite heavy to cary. i am looking into the source four junior zoom, but would also like to know if their are other alternatives...perhaps more lightweight and cheaper.

thank you

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: amateur seeking advice on spotlights
on Jan 11, 2009 at 6:13:51 pm

There is nothing cheaper than the Source Fours for the purpose you describe, unless you already own a small Fresnel unit like a LTM Pepper or Mole Tweenie or Baby on which you can add a Focal Spot attachment. The ideal unit for your purpose is a Dedo Light, but these are quite expensive.

JS

Return to posts index

Narendra Haynes
on Jan 11, 2009 at 6:43:01 pm

the source fours it is then.

thank you for the advice

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jan 12, 2009 at 2:11:21 pm

CHEAPER AND LIGHTER: a Source 4 Junior 36 degree (If you're going further than 20'-0" use a 26 degree).

NOT AS BRIGHT: use a 375w lamp .....and a household 600w dimmer from Home Depot.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jan 12, 2009 at 2:18:21 pm

NOTE: Your current accessories for standard SOURCE 4 ellipsoidals (color frame, gobo holder, iris, etc.) will not fit the Juniors.

Return to posts index

Peter Rummel
on Jan 22, 2009 at 4:53:23 pm

The Source Four is a type of light called an ellipsoidal. While the Source Fours are reknowned for their design and efficiency, they are not the only ellipsoidal out there. Altman and others also make ellipsoidals (sometimes called Lekos). Any of these would deliver the effect you want. These other-brand Lekos often show up on ebay for pretty good prices.

If being small and lightweight is the most important factor, then you could take a look at an Altman micro-ellipse

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/195917-REG/Altman_ME_120_Micro_Ellips...

It's only 75 watts, but if you're doing tabletop or a subtle effect then it could be the ticket.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]