FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help choosing what to use on a yacht for a cooking segment

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Hughes
Need help choosing what to use on a yacht for a cooking segment
on Nov 24, 2008 at 3:50:41 am

This is a little out of my norm, I have to light and shoot inside a yacht for a small cooking segment. The quarters will be very tight, with daylight spilling in through windows.

I will need to light the host, the cooktop, and of course, the room may need some light as well. I can add some ND to the windows to darken them down a little.

I need soft, daylight, and thin so I can tuck them close to the ceiling or wall, and they need to be rentable. I don't know if power will be available yet, so I may have to go battery or generator (I really don't want to use a generator if possible). I've seen some really small and medium size lights from Kino, but haven't used them. Any ideas or input (Kino or otherwise) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Thanks,
Gary

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Need help choosing what to use on a yacht for a cooking segment
on Nov 24, 2008 at 3:44:52 pm

Well for compact and low power this job seems to call for LED lightpanels, however, I'm still wary of their color fidelity and here you are trying to shoot food, one of the most color-critical things in the world.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:02:55 pm

The perfect light is daylight LED panels.

http://www.prompterpeople.com/led500.php
I have 3- of the 500's and they would work great in a small area like this.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:15:29 pm

I second my colleagues' opinions... this sounds like a case that calls for LED lighting.

However, as Gary said, "they need to be rentable." I'm not sure how big a rental market there is for LEDs just yet... I do know that neither of the grip/lighting houses that we use stocks them yet. I'm sure they will in time, but not at the present.

If you want to go flo, there are a couple of Kino models that could work, the Kino 12v Single and the Mini-Flo both operate off 12v. I'm not sure if they will give you the punch you need though.

Are you shooting this project while the boat is at sea (or lake or ocean or whatever)? If you are shooting it while docked (which would be the easiest way, I would think), surely there is at least 110v shore power available.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Nov 24, 2008 at 6:12:57 pm

If you are at sea or on a lake, this will be a much tougher assignment. If you are docked, then you can 1)draw ac power from the dock and / or a generator placed far enough away to be quiet and b)have less shifting light to worry about though the sun will change directions throughout the day.

Assuming you are docked, you can:

--push more daylight through the portholes by using reflectors (assuming it's a sunny day -- otherwise you can use 1200 HMIs bounced into reflectors for a similar effect); you may want to put trace or other diffusion on the outside face of the portholes to create a soft key. In this case, you could put the 1200 HMIs directly through the portholes, though rigging them at the right angle will be a challenge. Be sure you have at least one good rigging grip on your crew. If using just reflectors, you may want one or more mirror reflectors to direct the sunlight into the soft side of standard reflectors placed just outside the portholes. Better to use lights than reflectors, if your budget and AC permits, since the sun shifts so much you will be forever chasing it with your shiny boards.

--bounce light into white foamcore taped to the ceiling -- again, 1200 HMIs probably your best bet

--add additional side key with LEDs if you can find them, otherwise more bounce.

--the problem could be that you end up with a too-flat look. Start turning off lights until you get the balance you like.

--keep everyone out of the shooting area not absolutely essential to the job -- keep talent out while lighting, then crew and clients out while shooting; put video village above deck or in an adjacent room if there is one. It's going to be a tight fit for everyone. Remember to bring patience and good cheer.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Gary Hughes
on Nov 26, 2008 at 6:01:55 am

Thanks for all the input.

I really like the idea of the LED lights Michael. I should be able to tuck those really close to the wall and/or ceiling since they don't produce much heat and are only 4" thick. I'd really like to see some footage from those lights. I called prompter people and they don't have any footage online for those lights yet. By chance, do you have any online that I can see, especially if they happen to be mixed with sunlight in any way?

Thanks again.

Gary

Thanks,
Gary

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Nov 27, 2008 at 5:09:00 am

Check out the site for MINI-LITE PANELS (LED's) ... they're more efficient anyway.

DS

Return to posts index

Gary Hughes
on Nov 29, 2008 at 6:12:22 am

Dennis,

Are you referring to the mini plus on the litepanels site? If not, do you have a link?

Thanks,
Gary

Thanks,
Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]