FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting types / Lighting for Producers

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gav Bott
Lighting types / Lighting for Producers
on Nov 18, 2008 at 1:03:55 am

Does anyone know of a good online source that explains the basic lighting tools?

For example - redhead is 800w it's good for x, y & Z. A soft box is...

I'd like to give an assistant a quick education, mainly so when they go to pick things up form the rental they have some idea of what it should look like and what it's for.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Lighting types / Lighting for Producers
on Nov 18, 2008 at 2:42:43 am

By the sound of this I could believe you are a producer with a small startup production and want to offer employment to a friend or relative. Just a guess.

I've been a Gaffer most of my 27 year career and never had anyone tell me where to find a comprehensive book or tutorial to take in, I had to learn this stuff the hard way, by actually getting permission from the elders on set after I did the grunt work starting out. I would suggest teaching someone if you know lighting and the instruments, and BTW a redhead is a 1k in the USA. I don't teach anyone who doesn't have the passion to learn. If you need someone to just fetch a light then label them and anyone will do. Oh and BTW there is a really great gaffer in Sydney that goes by "the Fridge" who could recommend someone.

There is one book by Harry Box you could consider.
http://www.amazon.com/Set-Lighting-Technicians-Handbook-Third/dp/0240804953...

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 18, 2008 at 8:46:30 pm

I would just go to Amazon and buy the kid a used copy of Zettl's college video textbook, most any edition will do, since the lighting stuff basics never change.

Ross Lowel's "Matters of light and depth" would eb good too.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Nov 18, 2008 at 9:30:08 pm

if all you need is a picture of equipment on your list, then have the kid look up the unit under the manufacturer's name. There he/she will find pictures. Also some retail shops, such as Bhphotovideo have good pictures.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]