FORUMS: list search recent posts

pre-Green Screen Shoot Questions

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
pre-Green Screen Shoot Questions
on Oct 12, 2008 at 1:16:01 am

I'm going to stand about 9-10ft in front of a green screen cloth stretched about 9ft across a metal frame. I will be using two Kino 4Banks to light the screen and two Diva Lite 400s for the key and fill. I am trying to figure out how large of a location and what types of additional grip equipment I should plan for.

1.) How far should the Kino 4 Banks ideally be from the screen?
2.) How many lamps would you recommend turning on for each 4 Bank from this distance to get the best green?
3.) Do you think I would be better off using an Arri 150 or 300 for the backlight?
4.) What type of gel or scrim should I look into for the backlight?

Thanks for any info!!!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: pre-Green Screen Shoot Questions
on Oct 12, 2008 at 3:06:36 am

Every location has issues, and asking exactly what grip gear you should consider is why you either have a key grip that bring his truck or you have the experience to know what is needed. Separation is the key here.
Separating the light designated for the green screen can be accomplished a 4x4 floppy for each 4x4 kino.
1.) How far should the Kino 4 Banks ideally be from the screen?
I would think 7-8 feet. I like to have the green screen at least a stop under the Key light.
2.) How many lamps would you recommend turning on for each 4 Bank from this distance to get the best green?
again only use what is needed 2-3 tubes per Kino.
3.) Do you think I would be better off using an Arri 150 or 300 for the backlight?
It doesn't matter if you use a 6k HMI PAR as long as it is controlled to what looks right and not to hot.
4.) What type of gel or scrim should I look into for the backlight?
Some use a 1/4 -1/2 minus green magenta gel to help ensure the hair light is clean of green spill. I like a warm tonality, you need to understand where this image is going to be joined with. In most cases a nice warm back light is appropriate.

If this is your first green screen go slow and make sure you review your notes. Take time to use any light meter you may have and if possible look into the field monitor for help, as long as it is properly setup. If you see green on your subject turn out a few tubes on the green screen. No big deal. Have fun....

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: pre-Green Screen Shoot Questions
on Oct 13, 2008 at 2:51:48 am

I find that the most important tool is chroma keying is a waveform monitor. It tell you both how bright and how evenly your screen is lit. What you want is a straight "thin" line from end to end while the screen is framed. The right brightness will depend on many factors, including hair color, and the recording format. 45 IREs is a good start.

Having a laptop to do test keys is also good to have.

Vince Becquiot
Director | Editor

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]