FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green screen with yellow clothes

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Mol
Green screen with yellow clothes
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:33:57 am

Hi, I am gonna shoot a man wearing full yellow clothes in front of a green screen to later make a chroma key.

I really can't change the green for blue nor the yellow clothes for any other color (the green studio is borrowed and yellow is the color of the company).

I probably will shoot in DVCPRO, but will try to get an HD camera.

I have done some chroma key in the past, but not with yellow. I wonder if there is going to be any problem.

Any comments?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Green screen with yellow clothes
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:41:29 pm

The yellow should not cause you a problem provided:

--you light the green screen evenly across
--you place talent far enough in front of the screen that there is no contamination -- no green edges on the yellow clothes or on anything else -- you can help yourself here by blacking off all the green screen that isn't directly behind the talent, and in post fill in that black with matching green ("garbage mat")
--you control the light on the yellow clothes so they are not too hot in relation to the skin and the green screen; some yellows can be pretty vivid
--you do not put a hot rim light on your talent -- a light back-light and possibly equally light side kickers work best for compositing. You might get away with a little warmth on the back/side lights to counter any green spill, but if you see the color, it's too much

All of the above holds true, no matter what the color of the clothes.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Sep 2, 2008 at 8:37:41 pm

Than you, Rick, for your advice.

I guess I am going to be extra careful when doing the close shot of the shoes, as they are going to be touching the green ground.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Sep 4, 2008 at 5:13:32 am

FERNANDO: Definitely add a little backlight -- as Rick suggests --and use any of the following colors to reduce green "pollution" on your yellow clothes: ROSCOLUX #33, ROSCOLUX #333, or ROSCOLUX #3313 for better results.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]