FORUMS: list search recent posts

KINO Purchase Questions

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rick pearl
KINO Purchase Questions
on Aug 27, 2008 at 6:05:46 am

I want to get some KINOs for green screen and interview shoots.

I am looking at:

Diva-Lite 400 Quantity = 2
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=kidl400k&sb=ps&pn=...

4'/4 Banks Quantity = 2
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=ki44bsk&sb=ps&pn=1...

The idea is to use two of them to light the screen and the other two for the subject. Is this a good combination of lights? Do they work well together? Are the temperatures different? Should I get any additional KINO lights to go along with this?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: KINO Purchase Questions
on Aug 27, 2008 at 1:35:02 pm

That inventory should be more than sufficient for small greenscreen interview setups.... obviously using the 4-bangers for the screen and the Divas for the talent. Kinos are a very good choice for greenscreen work.

I've heard (although never personally experienced) that Kino 4x's and Divas have a slight color vairance... but I doubt it would be enough to worry about, especially since you are using one kind for the screen and the other for talent.

You'll probably also want some kind of backlight... I wouldn't suggest a Kino but rather some kind of directional hard-throw instrument. Probably something small, like a 150w HMI, or maybe a 300w tungsten fresnel with a bit of gel... probably 1/2 CTB. Or obviously an un-gelled instrument if you're going with tungsten-balanced bulbs in your Kinos.

You could also benefit from having a reflector or just a 4x4 bounce card handy.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

rick pearl
on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:37:55 pm

1. What about diffusion or scrims for Kinos -- are these needed?
2. Why not use a Kino for the backlight? I have an Arri 150 and 300, do these sound like they would work well?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:51:49 pm

You shouldn't need any diffusion for the Kinos that will be washing the greenscreen, provided you are able to put them far enough away from the screen that you get nice even lighting with no hotspots.

As for diffusion for the Divas for the talent, just depends on what look you are going for. The Divas will be fairly soft (much softer than a hardlight), but not quite as soft as, say, a medium or larger softbox. If you want them softer than they naturally are, you can diffuse them.

I personally like something much more directional and controllable (and with more punch) for backlighting than flos can normally provide, that's why I suggested a different instrument for the backlight. If you are using tungsten-balanced bulbs in your Kinos then your Arri 150 might be sufficient. If you are using daylight bulbs in the Kinos (which is what I suspect you will be doing), then you will probably need to kick the backlight up to the Arri 300 since you will lose some punch from it as it will need to be gelled blue for daylight (probably either 1/4 or 1/2 CTB).

Hope that helps,

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Aug 28, 2008 at 1:41:59 pm

FYI, just bought a new Diva 400, and it now has a 2/4 bank switch, and the spare tube case holds 6 instead of 4.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]