FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable Softbox for V-Light

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Browning
Portable Softbox for V-Light
on Aug 25, 2008 at 11:46:41 pm

I have 2 v-lights (1 silver and 1 white umbrella) as part of my Lowell kit. I generally like the look I get from the umbrellas, but I would like something with a little more direction. It would be good to have the option to add a softbox to one of my v-lights if possible. It seems from my research that Lowell doesn't carry one of these. The Rifa line looks great, but perhaps I should look for a generic softbox that will work with my 500w V-lights. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Portable Softbox for V-Light
on Aug 26, 2008 at 2:37:59 am

I'd give a Photoflex softbox a try. I have several Photoflexes and really like them. They aren't quite as well made as Chimeras (but close), but cost a lot less...

And Photoflex has speedring connectors for just about every particular instrument head out there... Lowels included.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Wes Browning
on Aug 26, 2008 at 4:05:12 am

Thanks for the tip. I looked on Photoflex's site and I'll probably try either the silverdome or whitedome. However, I can't seem to find a speedring that will fit Lowel's V-light- the tota seems the closest. I've contacted Photoflex about it, I'll post the results back here.

Return to posts index

Wes Browning
on Aug 31, 2008 at 2:57:29 am

The official word from Photoflex is that there isn't an available speedring for the v-light yet. However, the tota one fits just fine.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 31, 2008 at 3:18:34 am

Glad to hear it.... I figured they would have something that worked, even if it wasn't the "official" ring for that particular light.

I have a couple of "universal" speedrings from them that I use on several different kinds/types/brands of instruments and they work fine... these however are bout 8-10 years old and I notice that they don't even make that exact one any more.

The guys at Photoflex have always been super helpful and forthcoming with info. I was in need of another of their Transpac bags a while back, and called them about some specs. The guy on the phone actually told me, "Don't buy one now, if you are not in a hurry," and let me know that the bags were being completely redesigned and that if I could wait a couple of months there would be a much better product for the same money.... and he was right. Thought it was cool of him to give me the heads-up rather than just sell something already in their inventory.

By the way, when I did buy the bags, I got them from B&H rather than ordering from Photoflex directly... the price was much much better. Apparently they give their distributors quite a price break over selling directly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]