FORUMS: list search recent posts

Diffusion

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Diffusion
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:19:42 pm

Hey kids...

I'm going to throw this out into Cinematography too....

I'm having trouble hitting on exactly the right diffusion material, I thought I'd see if anyone else has a recommendation...

I'm in need of some diffusion for both sunlight and perhaps on occasion also HMI. I'm looking for something to go in a 6x6 butterfly but haven't landed on the exact rag that makes me happy. I have a Matthews 6x6 quarter-stop which of course cuts a bit of light but still gives hard shadows. Also have a Matthew half-stop which is just too much. I'm looking for something diffuse but with very good light transmission.

When I don't need something that big I'll usually use 250 or 251 in a 4x4 Hollywood frame, and usually one of those is perfect... but I can't find a textile equivalent that looks good in a bigger overhead frame.

There's actually some plasticy material we have laying around (it's actually vinyl shower curtain material, bought by the yard) that's just about right... but I would have to piece it together and I'm not sure how it would stand up to the heat of lights. I'd rather just buy the right rag if I could find one that makes me happy.

Anyone have any thoughts?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Diffusion
on Aug 8, 2008 at 2:18:35 pm

Todd
Here in Southern Cal the sun is always the only thing in the sky and I found using a full and half Soft Frost raw is great for direct sun. The best way to describe it is Pearly. On Faithful Friends I flew a 40x60 1/2 silent Grid Cloth for a month over the set about 13-14 feet up that gave me a wonderful even source to work with. I shaped this by using a 12x12 soild over the talent only allowing the soft light to wrap behind the talent and I used large HMI's to create the sun for the key and fill. The silent half Grid Cloth is very kind and I really like it. For your 2-6x6 frames having 1 medium diffusion like the half Grid or full Soft Frost would make your life better and have a silver & white Ultra Bounce rag for the second frame would be a nice compliment.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Diffusion
on Aug 8, 2008 at 9:41:06 pm

Thanks Michael...

Come to think of it, I think I have an 8x8 1/2 silent grid packed away that I haven't used in ages... I completely forgot about it because I almost only use 6x frames now, I can't even remember the last time I used an 8x. I'm not sure that's what I want (so it didn't come to mind) but it's sure worth digging it out to see if it gives me the look I'm after. If so, I'll buy a 6x (or convince my better half to haul out the sewing machine and cut that one down).

Thanks!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]