FORUMS: list search recent posts

lighting solutions

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Wise
lighting solutions
on Jul 27, 2008 at 8:17:36 pm

I am starting work on an article for the Cow Magazine about comparing various solutions for low-budget videographers to key and fill with fluorescent and LED daylight units. Here's a list of units I will compare, followed by a list of criteria. Note that I am picking the Kino Flo 4x4 as the starting gold standard, which I think it is. There are, of course, a multitude of smaller and larger units, but the basic 4x4 is a good starting place and the units I am comparing are all roughly competitors of this fixture. If you have any suggested additions, please chime in!

* Kino Flo 4x4
* Kino Flo Diva 400
* Lowel Caselight4
* FloLight FB220-4-lamp
* FloLight LED-1000
* CoolLight CL-455P
* Westcott Spiderlite TD5
* Alzo 600-EX
* Interfit ProLite 9

I will compare these according to the following categories:

* Price?
* free shipping?
* Includes stand?
* Includes barn doors/eeggcrate?
* Includes intensifier?
* Dimmable?
* Dimmable model available?
* Type bulbs?
* CRI daylite bulbs?
* CC reading with Minolta 3-color meter?
* # bulbs can switch on/off?
* Voltage?
* Size?
* weight w/bulbs?
* intensity at 10’feet?
* width beam at 10’ before drop-off?
* height beam at 10’ before drop-off?
* ease to take down, pack up (on scale of 1-10)?

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

craig alan
Re: lighting solutions
on Jul 28, 2008 at 1:59:27 am

This will be a great service. Please try to include pictures of kits and lights in use.

Additional info: Best places to buy. Price for kits with x number of units? What kind of case at what price? How secure are lamps in case? How heavy? Wheels? How long do bulbs last? Warranty. Customer service.

Are all parts rock solid? Any sharp edges or sticky knobs? Are the cords heavy with solid connections? Would the kit survive a tired crew striking them quickly or do they require kid glove handling?

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: lighting solutions
on Jul 28, 2008 at 2:52:42 am

WOW! What a daunting task you're undertaking. Good luck.
Don't forget to include ARRI's Studio Cool fluorescent fixtures, and Desisti's De Lux unit, not to mention the fluorescent units of Brightline and Videssence.

Will you be including a list of LED fixtures also?

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]