FORUMS: list search recent posts

color temp reduction of a flourescent 6500K?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
color temp reduction of a flourescent 6500K?
on Jul 20, 2008 at 11:31:45 pm

I am curious. There are a a lot of flourecent bulbs in the 3200K range in home depot and lowes, but none in the 5600K range. There are daylight at 6500, but they would probably have cooler color temp than someone could want.

I thought of experimenting and wanted to know if a straw colored gel would reduced the color temp down a bit on these lights. I have shot in department stores and we have put straw and light green over arri suns to duplicate the dept store flourecent lights.

Anyway, would straw drop the color temp?

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: color temp reduction of a flourescent 6500K?
on Jul 20, 2008 at 11:52:50 pm

Sure you can.

Keep in mind that 6500K is a lot closer to 5600K than 3200K is. And 5600K isn't really daylight, that's just sort of temperature which has come to be assigned to it though the years. Depending on conditions and time of day, sunlight can actually have a color temp much much higher than 5600 at times.

So yes, you can indeed use gels and a bit of minus-green would work. If you are trying to match an HMI or some other 5600K source, probably something as little as 1/4 CTO would do the trick. 6500K isn't really nearly as far from 5600K as it might sound.

Keep in mind about the color rendering index, though. The average Home Depot fluorescent tubes might not have a very high CRI and not be great for photography. You'd want a CRI of at least 80 or higher (preferably higher), and many non-photography bulbs have CRIs of much much lower than that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Jul 21, 2008 at 12:07:04 am

Cool.

Thanks. I haev someone that wants to do a project and is insistant on using fourescent. I said go with Kino, but price is not an option. I may just use the 6500K.

Now I have never tried this with flourecents, but they want to light the subject and a green screen. This will be in a small space (20ft)so I will get spill on my subject. I have 4 chinese lanterns and thought I would put 150w in them and try to use a tube (shop) light on the screen, while trying to control the spill with flags. Or just put the screw ins inside clamp on lights with tin foil reflectors. Anyway, I want to go with tungsten, but this guy is excentric.

If I don't get a reply I understand. This is going to be a challenge.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 21, 2008 at 12:35:21 am

[Nelson May] "they want to light the subject and a green screen."

Are you saying they want to light the talent and the screen at the same time with the same instruments? If so, that would pretty much violate rule #1 in the Big Book of Keying. Unless they are going after absolutely flat shadowless unmodeled lighting on the talent, then I guess it could be done.

Shop lights are going to be awfully hard to flag, IMO. I've used something as rudementary as shop lights before to light green screens, I'm definitely not above doing that... but only when I had enough studio space to place the talent a sufficient distance in front of the screen so that there was no spill and I could light them completely independently.

Let us know how it goes...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Jul 21, 2008 at 12:57:26 am

first thought was to hit the talent with three lights. I may get away with a couple of 150w's on each side then a hairlight at maybe 50-75w.

I probably will scrap the shop light on the screen. There will be too much spill. I guess I will do more flourecents on the screen, maybe even use some ND paper to reduce them a stop and see what happens.

Anyway, if I get something good, I will make a post on youtube.

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Jul 21, 2008 at 1:00:16 am

i had to add something. It is funny, but did you see the serious magic website's demo before adobe bought them? they were hitting the talent with 2 600w softboxes and claiming to pull a key. I was very skeptical.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]