FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exploding bulb questions

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Pearl
Exploding bulb questions
on Jul 8, 2008 at 4:24:38 pm

Using an Arri lighting kit:

1. What is the likelihood of bulbs actually exploding?

2. What type of scrims should be used that will not affect the way the light appears but to instead protect against glass in case the bulbs explodes?

3. Are there any indicators that can be checked to determine if a bulb is close to exploding?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Exploding bulb questions
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:10:31 pm

1. It is rare for bulbs to explode - it's happened to me once in about 50 years
2. any wire scrim will cut the light somewhat
3. I know of no indicators that you can check to determine if a bulb is close to exploding.

Bottom line: protect your talent and yourself with wire scrims if you are using open-faced fixtures.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Jul 12, 2008 at 6:15:23 pm

Arri sells safety glass covers (not cheap).

Vince

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 12, 2008 at 6:26:05 pm

I've been lighting with portable mp/tv lights for thirty five years and only had one occasion where a quartz globe exploded. Obviously you should visually inspect the globes and see if there are bulges or other imperfections that would indicate danger, and change them out when this is observed.

Fresenel instruments are safe by virtue of the glass lens, although in large instruments they are expensive to replace. I believe that all the new quartz units come with wire safety protection in order to get their UL listing. I know that K5600 had to provide such a system on their 800 Jokers to sell to Warner Bros. Studios, and they offer it as an option otherwise.

This thread is an important reminder that safety should be constantly considered, but that the incidence of this type of problem is quite rare, so it's often neglected as a concern.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 12, 2008 at 6:35:35 pm

Haven't been lighting quite as long as John (maybe two-thirds as long), but I've never had a bulb explode either.

Now, most of my globes are going to be contained in some way (behind the lens in a fresnel, or behind one of the lenses in a PAR HMI), but I do have a few completely open-face instruments... and honestly, I've never really been worried about them.

We've had a few minor other things happen (a C-stand bonk someone, someone getting bumped in the head by crane weights), but no injury or incident ever from a bulb exploding. It's more likely that someone is going to get burned from not realizing an instrument is still hot.

I'm not saying don't worry about it... just saying I wouldn't take up too much time or brain power being overly concerned. There's a lot more potentially dangerous stuff on the average film set.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]