FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Negron
Green Screen
on Jul 7, 2008 at 11:46:54 pm

I am fairly new to the filming industry. What are some things I need to know about filming on a green screen? What are some key points for lighting, filming, and editing? I will be using After Effects for editing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Green Screen
on Jul 9, 2008 at 2:58:21 pm

Welcome to the Cow, one thing that might help you search for threads that may answer your questions is to view posts by threads allowing you to scroll down to see if the question you have is already answered.
Lighting for green screen is a large step for a beginner and you should read as much as you can about lighting and video formats as this will help you later during the post production.

One thing you need to realize is you have the potential to reflect green light back onto the subject, this will make it difficult if not impossible to key out. You will need enough space to separate to back ground away from the subject and also some way to control the light levels. Grip equipment is how professionals keep light only on the areas where it is wanted cutting it from areas where you don't. The light levels surrounding the edges of the subject are what need to be even so don't be to concerned if the entire green screen isn't perfectly lit, this area should also be about a stop less than the key light on the subject. You can use ANY light source (as long as it is a matching source) for the green screen as long as you can control it to only lighting the green, and just because this light is controlled from lighting the subject you need to be aware of any spill bouncing back. Lets say you are in the garage and you are using some fluorescent shop lights on the green screen one vertical on the left and right and one hung horizontal over the top, these lights will create an ambient level to the room on there own and this is where you need to have the room to separate your subject away from this area or enough grip gear to control it. I would suggest a china ball connected to a hand dimmer for the key and a smaller one for the fill side, and if you like back light use something you can control even if it is one of those quartz work lights, you can dim those too and wrap them with tin foil to make a snoot.

Testing is the best way to understand what you need to do. Read as much as you can.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/47/855938#855957

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]