FORUMS: list search recent posts

lighting tips (example included)

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Stas
lighting tips (example included)
on Jul 4, 2008 at 1:06:47 pm

Hi, we are making a video but the first shoot the lighting wasnt that great, it was too dark but at the same time all the whites were being blown out. here is a basic edit of it:

we are doing a re-shoot this weekend and are looking for a dvice on how to make the lighting better. we have about 6 500W building site lights but that is all.

your help would be much appreciated :)
Lloyd

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: lighting tips (example included)
on Jul 4, 2008 at 4:46:43 pm

For rock and roll, a lot of this works great -- to my eyes anyway. The best shots: when there's a light visible in the background, and the face is partially lit. I think your main "problem" is where you are placing the lights: way too much lighting from the front. I'd place at least two and maybe 3 as back lights: one from left rear, one from right rear, and one rear-center. I'd place one more side/front left, and side/front right. And the final one I'd place relatively far back into the theater for just a little front fill.

When shooting from the left side, I'd kill or else scrim down the light directly behind you; ditto when shooting from the right side (I presume you are using one camera, with playback.)

You might also consider placing the front left and right lights very low down; or, take your front middle light and place it very low down

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]