FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reflector or foam core board?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Reflector or foam core board?
on Jun 30, 2008 at 10:58:02 pm

1.) Will there be a difference in quality between using a foam core board or a reflector such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42093-REG/Photoflex_DL_1332WS_32_Refl...

to fill in light for a single subject on a video shoot?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Reflector or foam core board?
on Jun 30, 2008 at 11:33:28 pm

The B&H reflector will almost certainly be a bit harder than foamcore. The softest "hard" surface is bead-board, which is styrofoam. Next harder is white card. Harder yet is Foamcore.

A trick grips use to focus a board is to place a small mirror near the center of the surface, then tilt the board until the mirror reflects hard light where you want the maximum amount of bounce.

Equally, if the there is too much fill from the bounce you can reduce it several ways: move the board further away; tilt the board off its maximum bounce, or "waste" it; scrim the light falling on the board.

Remember that light intensity changes by the square of the distance. Double the distance of a light (or bounce card) you cut the light to a 1/4 of its previous intensity. Cut the distance in 1/2 and you increase the light by 4 (2 stops). In other words, moving the light a little closer, or a little farther away, makes a big difference in intensity.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:53:05 am

Good advice from Rick....

Semi on topic, just a trick/tip that I do that works pretty well...

We use 4x4 (foamcore) bounces a lot, but for some lean-and-mean shoots when we don't take a truck it can be a little unweidly to pack 16 square feet of foamcore...

So... sometimes I will take the foamcore and using an Xacto knife I will score it right down the middle, so that it can be folded in half to a more managable 2x4 size.

If you pop it into a duckbill bounce clamp ("Quaker Clamp," the kind that's just a pair of ViceGrips with a welded-on 5/8" stud and sheet-metal jaws), the jaws hold it open and perfect flat... works just as if it were un-cut.

Usually I can use one for quite a few shoots before it is bent up or banged up and I have to replace it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jul 1, 2008 at 6:16:19 am

My personal favorite...a FLEX-FILL.

DS

Return to posts index

Rick Pearl
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:00:39 pm

What is the difference between using a light or a piece of foam core for the fill light? Is the end result the same?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:02:54 pm

The large size of a fill card (usually 4x4')is difficult to recreate with a fill "light" so a card is often more maneuverable and subtle.

JS

Return to posts index

Rick Pearl
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:13:56 pm

What type of attachment is used to connect the 4 x 4 to a C Stand, such as the ones here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&Ini...

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:16:27 pm

Simplest method is to grab board with the grip head and hold down other end with grip clip (pony clamp)

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:37:11 pm

Well you can do it several ways, but I personally think the best/easiest and most controllable way is to use a duckbill or quaker clamp....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/139521-REG/Matthews_429042_Quaker_Cla...

We've bought a couple... but we've also made a couple ourselves (welding a 5/8" stud and a couple of sheetmetal "jaws" onto regular old pair of ViceGrips).

They will sturdily hold a 4x4 bounce and make it easy to adjust in any position.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Pearl
on Jul 2, 2008 at 7:47:48 pm

What types of shoots would you want to use one of these reflectors over foam core?

Return to posts index

Jay Curtis
on Jul 2, 2008 at 9:15:47 pm

Generally speaking, I'm more likely to use a reflector instead of a white board in outdoor settings. The reflector will give you more fill for your buck, so to speak, especially for a wider shot.

The foam core or bead board solution is softer and easier for the talent to look into, but often doesn't give enough kick to compare with the sun.

Jay

Jay Curtis

Blue Vase Productions

Return to posts index

Thomas Wildgen
on Jul 3, 2008 at 7:24:03 pm

A little trick that I do with a 4X4 sheet of foam cor is to buy a silver space blanket from the camping section of a outdoor store. open it all the way up and then scrunch it down as small as you can to get it wrinkled. I then go into the garage and I coat one side of the piece of foamcor with spray cement and spread the wrinkled space blanket out on the board. Don't spread it out too smooth, put it on wrinlkled, this will give a nice soft bounce that is a different quality than the white side of the board, sort of a hard side/soft side card.
I often trim the card to fit in the lid of a case and score it down one side to fold in half to take on the road.
There are variations too, you can buy one of the gold space blankets and have a warm side instead of white.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom

Tom Wildgen
WebCast Coordinator
WestLegalEdcenter

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 4, 2008 at 2:56:25 am

That's a terrific idea!

Rick Wise
director of photography