FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable Power

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Amundson
Portable Power
on Jun 13, 2008 at 3:11:50 pm

Hey Folks,

I'm trying to come up with a portable power solution. What I would like is something that could be wheeled on pneumatic tires into remote areas on an acreage and used to power a 400 Joker or maybe a 1200. Sound is an issue. Thinking about something like a marine battery array.

Anybody created and/or seen anything like this?

Rick Amundson
Director/DP
Screenscape Studios

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Portable Power
on Jun 13, 2008 at 3:26:12 pm

Rick,

This is done all the time. K5600 sells an inverter that is used with two AB batteries to power the 400. You can get an industrial quality inverter to use with marine batts as you suggest, just be sure to use deep cycle batts like marine quality as normal auto batts won't do the job. With a 1200 you should consider getting several batts and wiring in series to have enough amps to last. One of the beauties of the joker lights is their ability to run at as low as 90volts, so a long extention cord works too. I've run almost a 1000' and it worked, but of course the heavier the cable, the less voltage drop and the longer you can go.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Portable Power
on Jun 13, 2008 at 3:32:53 pm

Hi Rick....

John beat me to the punch... but he's right on the money... and yes make sure they are deep cycle marine batteries. Be aware that these might take a little while to charge and recharge.

I would think they would pull the Joker ok... as for the 1200, yes put a few in a series unless you only need the instrument for a very short time, it will be very juice hungry.

I hope your location is not too deep in the sticks... these bad boys are going to be heeeeeaaaavy, especially with several of them.

Let us know how it goes, very interested to hear...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]