FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting singer in recording studio

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Anderson
Shooting singer in recording studio
on May 15, 2008 at 3:09:08 pm

Hello,

I'm shooting HDV of a singer in a recording studio, basically just the singer and a microphone in close up. What lighting set up should I use to be most flattering to the singer. She is African American if that is a consideration for the skin tones. I would like to just do it with one light, this is a quick shoot so I won't have much time to do a major set-up.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Shooting singer in recording studio
on May 23, 2008 at 8:25:09 pm

I suggest checking out Izzy Video podcast - he has some great tutorials on lighting.
I would shoot with one diffused light, either a softbox if you have it, or a diffused open light - use a reflector or white foamcore to reflect the light back as fill.
Make sure your camera is not casting shadow on the talent if you are in close quarters.
Also keep your light away from any foam that may be lining the walls.
Mike

Return to posts index

Colin Wiencek
on May 27, 2008 at 11:22:53 pm

Three point light. Simple, easy, fast. Not so creative but great for something like this and put some CTO on the back light to give a nice effect.
-Colin

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on May 28, 2008 at 5:26:56 am

"What lighting set up should I use to be most flattering to the singer. I would like to just do it with one light..."

These two statements don't equate. One light will not be the most flattering.

"She is African American if that is a consideration for the skin tones."

That's a BIG consideration...and also doesn't equate with one light.

DS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 28, 2008 at 5:42:03 am

I agree... stipulating that you only want to use one instrument and one instrument only yet saying that you want the "most flattering" lighting possible is a statement that is a bit at odds with itself.

However, with one instrument you can create flattering lighting, but it might not be the most flattering lighting, as you requested.

If I were limited to one instrument, depending on the size of the room I'd probably throw up a 575w or 1200w HMI into a medium high 4x4 white bounce... sort of simulate soft light from a large high window or skylight. Lord Snowden has taken countless (beautiful) portraits with just this setup (although natural light in his case).

Or...

Just put a largish very soft instrument fairly near to the subject, at somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees. Could be a Kino, a softbox, or even an open-faced instrument with an umbrella. The setting would be relatively dark and limbo, with fairly dramatic lighting on the subject. Might not be the most flattering to her, but could be interesting nonetheless.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]