FORUMS: list search recent posts

$600 lighting kit- is it any good?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Brown
$600 lighting kit- is it any good?
on May 12, 2008 at 6:38:21 pm

Hello all-

Ive been lurking here for quite a while and would like to start my first post with a thanks to all of you who share your knowledge here. You guys rock! So, I've decided to use my $600 tax rebate to buy a starter lighting kit and found this http://2692883288.monstercommercesites.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&Pr...

Is this kit any good? I'm new to all of this and all of the choices are overwhelming! What I'm looking for is something that I can use to light a 10'x15' green screen and actor with and also use to light scenes in rooms varying in size up to 20'x20'. I'm just a hobbyist and doing shorts in my home and the homes of some friends I'm working with so the low power usage and low heat from these units appeal to me, but I'm not sure if this is adequate. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Tim

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
Re: $600 lighting kit- is it any good?
on Jun 3, 2008 at 7:34:37 pm

Hi, Tim. Welcome to the forums! I'll mention that this lighting forum isn't as popular as some of the others - although your post may sit for a while in here, it will eventually get some feedback.

The kit you've spec'd looks interesting - I'll just give some input as to the pros and cons the kit has - it'll still be up to you whether you still want to buy it after all.

Nice - they run cool, don't use a lot of juice.

Good and bad - they're very soft lights, which is graet if you want a soft light, and not so great if you want more control over your beam.

Good and bad - they're balanced to daylight. Good if you're shooting somewhere with ambient 5600k light, like around a window. The big drawback to this is that you will have a tougher time adding lights to your kit when you want to add them later - and you will want to add more later.

If I had $600 to spend on my first kit, I'd be on Ebay. Lots of lights were made to last forever, so getting a few used off Ebay is a great idea. On top of that, you could probably get stands, gels, soft boxes, etc.

I'd also recommend sifting through the forum a bit and looking for what people are using to light a green screen. Efplighting.com has some good tutorials; you'll find that you're going to need more than three lights to get good results.

Good luck - let me know what you end up with. If you end up with the 3-light flouro kit, let me know how it works out for you.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Tim Brown
Re: $600 lighting kit- is it any good?
on Jun 12, 2008 at 9:24:09 pm

Thanks for the input Tom! I did end up getting this kit and it arrived this week. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet but will be trying it out this weekend. I'll be sure to let you know how it works out for me. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]