FORUMS: list search recent posts

What light to use to match sun light

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Santos
What light to use to match sun light
on Apr 2, 2008 at 8:54:59 am

I would like to add some lights that will blend with the sun's color temperature. I tried using redheads with blue gels but it doesn't look right. What will I do? Thanks guys!!!

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: What light to use to match sun light
on Apr 2, 2008 at 4:05:17 pm

You most likely didn't have the right CTB color correction on your fixtures. Assuming you didn't meter it with a color temperature meter, you should have a variety of grades of CTB (1/4 blue, 1/2 blue, 3/4 blue, Full blue) to "experiment with".
It also doesn't hurt to have some 1/8 minus green depending on just how much green is in your daylight (Bounce off folliage or light through trees can change your color temperature.)
That being said you could also use daylight balanced lamps .....available for all fluorescent fixtures (KINO FLO being the best in most people's opinion), or Daylight LED fixtures; or you could spend lots of money for HMI fixtures -- my instrumentation of choice whenever working outside (in addition to sunscreen).

DS

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:56:08 am

You mean HMIs have the same color temperature as sun light? Does that also mean I don't have to use gels? I haven't used them. I'll probably look into it since I know a rental house that offers it. God bless.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 7, 2008 at 3:58:16 am

[Ryan Santos] "You mean HMIs have the same color temperature as sun light?"

Typically, yes.

But not always. There are HMI lamps that are the same color temp as tungsten lamps, but they are less common. Best to ask whomever is providing the lamps.

HMIs have tremendous advantages, but of course disadvantages as well. The biggest advantage is that they put out much more light per watt compared to tungsten instruments. A 1K HMI can put out as much light as four or five thousand watts of tungsten light. And are typically daylight balanced, which is often an advantage.

The downsides are that the instruments are often big and heavy, not all of them are "instant restrike," and you usually have to lug around a big heavy ballast as well. The biggest downside is the cost: while HMIs are several times brighter than same-watt tungstens, they are also several times as expensive. While tungsten instruments are often in the "hundreds of dollars" range, for HMIs you are going to have to add an extra zero... HMIs are usually in the thousands of dollars.

While there is a pretty good used market, the absolute least expensive new HMIs I've heard of are the ones promised by Richard the CoolLights guy (he's a fairly inventive do-it-yourselfer). His HMI instruments are planned to range from a little 150watt instrument for about $500 to a 1200watt for around three grand. Development on these products is a bit slow and "still to come" (and as far as I know he doesn't have plans for the bigger HMIs that you usually see) but commercially available instruments that you can buy right now are at least twice that cost, in some cases a lot more.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 8, 2008 at 2:18:43 am

Don't confuse the color of sunlight with the color of daylight. As a matter of fact don't confuse the color temperature of daylight on a sunny day with daylight on a cloudy day, or even the color temperature of daylight on a winter's day with a clear blue sky.
There's never a time that I don't color correct my HMI lights.

Although on a recent TODAY SHOW, live from Miami's South Beach, when the director insisted on shooting into sun rising in the east over the ocean, none of my 18,000watt HMI's were gelled. I couldn't afford to lose even the slightest bit of the intensity. As it was, they weren't bright enough at full spot (No color media would have held up to that anyway.)

DS

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 14, 2008 at 9:10:39 pm

[Dennis Size] "Although on a recent TODAY SHOW, live from Miami's South Beach, when the director insisted on shooting into sun rising in the east over the ocean, none of my 18,000watt HMI's were gelled. I couldn't afford to lose even the slightest bit of the intensity. As it was, they weren't bright enough at full spot (No color media would have held up to that anyway.)"

That's easy, Dennis. If you can't gel the HMI's, just gel the Atlantic Ocean.

Seriously, though, how was the shot?

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on May 14, 2008 at 9:39:38 pm

Lighting 101:
Rule 1 -- Never fight with God, You will lose.
Rule 2 -- Never shoot into the sun. The shot will suck.

This shot sucked, as did the ensuing dozens of others from that angle. Of course, having to light 4 hours of live TV origination, over several city blocks and beachfront, with about 70 different angles and over 20 different locations, including a LIVE Concert with Enrique Iglesias it was a lose/lose scenario from the get-go!

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]