FORUMS: list search recent posts

Table Lamps - Suggestions?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Tetamore
Table Lamps - Suggestions?
on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:34:05 am

We have a production in a small room that is dimly lit, and would like to come up with a solution to light up audience members as they sit at tables. We don't want to use studio lights that might require stands or cabling up in the ceiling. Our thought was to find some cool looking low profile soft light sources that we could place as the centerpiece for each of the tables.

Anyone have some suggestions?

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
Re: Table Lamps - Suggestions?
on Mar 28, 2008 at 5:48:39 pm

IKEA, http://www.ikea.com

//nick

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Mar 29, 2008 at 4:03:10 am

The oft used solution is a plexiglass table top with an instrument under the table shooting up through it. P-95 plexi works best, but any old milk plexi will work. You could use clear glass or plexi and diffuse it -- or even color it for that "special party look". My normal choice of lighting instrument is a Source 4 PAR lamped at 375w ....but any old PAR 56, 46, or 38 (depending on how much intensity you need and how big your table is) will suffice. Use a narrow beam spread lamp.
My current "hot" new gimmick is to lay Rosco's Lite Pad on the table top. It's a very slick light source that generates no heat, is fairly bright in an darkened environment, consumes very little power, and is almost as flat as a piece of paper. you could also use Cee Lite. It's the same type source, but it's a bit more expensive.

DS

Return to posts index

scott davis
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:26:29 pm

Do you like those Lite Panels? I've seen print media about them, but haven't actually used any. Seems like a great concept...

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 15, 2008 at 12:10:34 am

I LOVE Lite Panels! I've lost count of how many I've installed on projects in the last few years .... most recently for the newly redesigned WHITE HOUSE PRESS ROOM (in which 50 dmx controlled units are used to light the podiums and press seating).
I install the mini-lite panels in anchor desks everywhere, and on cameras for eye-lights.
I won't do a location shoot without them. For the MOST HAUNTED LIVE (in Philadelphia last year) I had to light a few miles of the EASTERN STATE PENITENTIARY. After laying in all the lekos and HMI's to create the atmosphere I lit the anchors exclusively with battery powered 1' x 1' Lite Panels, carried by electricians.

DS

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Apr 15, 2008 at 12:19:50 am

The LitePanels look awesome. I can't wait to give them a whirl. Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Very helpful.

Brian Tetamore
TheVisualChurch.com

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]