FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-Camera Lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd at Fantastic Plastic
On-Camera Lighting
on Feb 21, 2008 at 4:31:56 pm

Hey gang...

I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually in need of some on-camera lighting....

We always shoot single-camera film-style setups, and I have pretty much all the instruments we need for most any situation like that... but we have just been booked to do some shooting at a huge trade show in Vegas (not NAB, sadly) so I'm going to need some run-n-gun on-camera lighting.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for such an instrument?

I'd rather not break the bank, but I don't want to short myself either. Something that can feed off my on-camera batteries (via the A-B goldmount "power tap" would be ideal).

If it matters, we usually shoot Canon XLH1 with P+S Technik Mini35 and Leitz/Panavision cine primes. Even though most of our lenses are superspeeds (T1.3) the setup is a bit light-hungry so we need an instrument that has some reasonably significant output. I know they are probably power-suckers but we have lots of bricks, if needed.

Thanks all!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: On-Camera Lighting
on Feb 24, 2008 at 1:37:19 pm

Anton Bauer's own Ultralight 2 comes with the powertap cable. You can choose from among several different wattage bulbs, and get a diffuser &/or softbox for it too.

If you need to power it off a brick instead of the camera's own powertap, you can get an adapter from AB and just carry the brick around in a fanny pack.

I was actually very surprised at what a nice look it gives, when used as a boost rather than a key.

I'm sure that a Litepanel would be cooler (in more ways than one) but shooting inside you want tungsten balance, and the Ultralight is quite a bit less expensive.

Good luck! Sorry it doesn't coincide with NAB.

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: On-Camera Lighting
on Feb 28, 2008 at 10:14:10 pm

Zylight is an LED fixture. It's a bit pricy, but an amazing unit. Check it out: http://www.zylight.com/servlet/StoreFront

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]