FORUMS: list search recent posts

can I adjust a 650w Fresnel to look like a 300 or a 150?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Feysa
can I adjust a 650w Fresnel to look like a 300 or a 150?
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:35:27 am

I'm looking at the Arri Kits and am having trouble deciding (like a kid in a candy store). I'm tempted to buy the Arri Softbank Tungsten 1 kit with the 300 and 2 650 fresnels with the Arrilite 1000, but I also want a lite feel to my shoots, so would like a 150 sometimes. So, can I adjust the intensity of the 650's or the 300 when applicable to a setting comparable to a 150 or is it not as smooth? Also, can I attach the softbox intended for the Arrilite to the fresnels?
Thanks for your time, guys-

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: can I adjust a 650w Fresnel to look like a 300 or a 150?
on Feb 6, 2008 at 4:07:27 pm

The output of your lighting fixtures is relevant only to the existing ambient light you're working with. For example, if you're lighting a subject with bright daylight lit windows in the shot, you need more powerful lamps; if you want the practical lamps in a night scene to work lighting part of the set, you need a less powerful key.

Of course you must have a camera sensitive enough to properly expose with the practicals.

The actual power of the lamp has almost nothing to do with whether or not you have a "lite" feel to your image. It's all relative; you balance everything and then use iris and ND filters to expose.

You can control the output of your Fresnel lamps with wire scrims or ND gel. You can use proper dimmers for the lamps, but that will shift the color to red as you dim.

Good shooting,

Leo

Return to posts index

Peter Feysa
Re: can I adjust a 650w Fresnel to look like a 300 or a 150?
on Feb 7, 2008 at 12:59:56 am

Cool, thanks Leo.
Just ordered the Arri Softbank 1 Tungsten kit (1 300, 2 650's, and an Arrilite 1000). I appreciate the post brother.
Happy shooting =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]