FORUMS: list search recent posts

Producing show for web

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Walker
Producing show for web
on Jan 11, 2008 at 2:55:06 am

Looking for a good starter kit of sorts that uses minimal power and costs under $2,000. Producing a show for web delivery and for the controlled lighting enviornments (which will consist of apartment interiors) wanted to use a lighting kit that includes a good soft box and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Familiar with lowell kits but haven't been too impressed. Would love to go arri but want to keep budget to a minimum. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Producing show for web
on Jan 16, 2008 at 5:47:57 pm

Look at the LTM Pepper kits.... rugged, VERY well made, real workhorses.

I have one three-fresnel Pepper kit that is almost ten years old that we still use sometimes... and it is just as solid as the day we bought it. It came with very nice Matthews stands and a hard-shell rolling case. You can buy single instruments, but if you buy their kits they are VERY complete (at least they were in 1997, I imagine they still are)... not only heads and stands, but barn doors, complete scrim kit (singles, doubles, halves and fulls), plug adapters, extra lamps... even leather gloves.

The more I use the Peppers the more I actually prefer them to Arris... and they are MUCH more affordable.

I think they have kits that include softboxes, umbrellas, etc... or you can just buy fresnel kits and add your own softboxes, umbrellas and the like. For softboxes on a budget I recommend PhotoFlexes. Not quite as ruggedly made as Chimeras, but do the job and cost a lot less.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jon Walker
on Jan 17, 2008 at 3:21:18 am

I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for the advice. My main concern is power consumption. The majority of our indoor work will be in an apartment setting and I'm worried about blowing breakers. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:25:35 am

Well, fortunately the math isn't too advanced...

First, determine the size of the breaker for the particular plugs you want to use.

Then... figure how how many amps your instruments that you want to use on that particular circit would be pulling...and don't exceed the total amps for which the breaker is rated.

Watts / Volts = Amps

(Or expressed another way Watts = Amps x Volts, or
Watts / Amps = Volts)

So, if you have a 1K instrument on a 110v circuit, then as you'll see that instrument is pulling about 9 amps.

Calculate it all up and see if your breakers can handle what you need. If you need more light output than those can handle, one option would be to go with fluorescent fixtures (Kinoflos, etc.) instead of tungsten. Another option would be HMI fixtures, but now you are getting up into real real money.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]