FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does bulb orientation really matter?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Does bulb orientation really matter?
on Jan 4, 2008 at 3:40:04 am

I was considering getting a Triolet from Chimera to light up a pancake lantern, when I noticed that the two-pin PCV bulb is listed as "BDTH," that is, the bulb wants to be base down to horizontal.

I've always tried to keep bulbs happy by orienting them as recommended, even the Kino Flos which want to be base up to almost horizontal. (Kino Flo emphasizes that color temperature can shift up to 400K if the fixture is used base down.)

Regarding the tungsten-lit Triolet, am I trying to be too careful? If not, what are you recommending for lighting pancake lanterns, which call for a base-up bulb?

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Does bulb orientation really matter?
on Jan 4, 2008 at 4:00:04 am

Bob,

With tungsten globes, burning them in the "wrong" position, ie base up in this case will severely shorten their life, but if that's what it takes to do the shot, so be it.

I've had good luck burning Joker Bug Lights in 200, 400 and 800 watt designations bulb up and never really noticed and significant shortening of their life, but I'm not sure of any burn position restrictions on this type of MSR-HR globes.

JS

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Yes
on Jan 4, 2008 at 7:44:38 pm

Thanks John. That's sort of what I suspected -- esp. if you are not leaving a light on all day long, every day.

Acc. to Chimera, the two-pin bulb in the Triolet should be used with the protective dome, and with the protective dome, it tends to overheat when used base up, i.e. in the hanging lantern configuration. For hanging a lantern with the Triolet, they recommend a Mogul base bulb, which is happy burning in any direction and doesn't need the protective dome.

In a pinch, the two-pin bulb can be used base up without the protective dome, but then there's no protection in case of bulb breakage.

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]