FORUMS: list search recent posts

Light In Eyes Of Music Video Stars

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph Wilkins
Light In Eyes Of Music Video Stars
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:08:08 pm

WHen I watch MTV music videos, in close ups, you can always see a ring of light in the eyes of the singer.

What kind of light is big used and where is it bing positioned to get that effect?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Light In Eyes Of Music Video Stars
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:15:51 pm

They use a ring light.

Here's a pic of the one we use....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

joseph Wilkins
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:20:44 pm

Thanks for the quick response... where can I buy one/how much are they? Any advice on using it?

Return to posts index

on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:46:33 pm

Well, can't give you any advice on where to buy this particular one because we built it ourselves.

Kino Flo makes a unit, but it's a fair bit smaller than we needed so we had to go the homemade route. Their unit is called the "Kamio" and I think it goes for about two grand... but don't quote me on that.

Ours is pushing twice the size of the Kino, so I can use it with a much bigger camera/matte box combo. It started life as a 12" aluminum cake pan and maybe $150 worth of electronics parts. We had it finished fairly nicely and powder coated and all so it doesn't look too embarassingly homemade, if you don't inspect it too closely. You can swap out the bulb for daylight or tungsten balancing, and it is dimmable down to about 50% (the ballast/dimmer box isn't shown in the pictures). I think the Kino ring is 12v... whereas mine depends on 110AC. I think I could rig it for 12v, but it's mostly for studio use and I doubt I will ever use it on a remote location where there is no power.

Use of a ring light is fairly simple... you use it whenever you want fairly shadowless images, a little bit of "fill" to traditional lighting setups, or to put that twinkle in the eye.

The downsides are that they can only be used for medium-or-closer closeups... and yes, they give that circular highlight in the eyeball (sometimes desirable, sometimes not). They are anywhere from "very difficult" to use to "useless" if your talent happens to be wearing regular reflective eyeglasses... you'll see big nickle-sized circular reflections.

BTW... they still show music videos on MTV????? You learn something new every day!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

joseph Wilkins
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:53:59 pm

Thanks for the advice... So any way I could pay you to make one for me?

Return to posts index

on Dec 22, 2007 at 5:04:52 pm

Hmmmm....

Maybe... contact me off forum by clicking here

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Dec 23, 2007 at 10:36:58 pm

You could also simply use a light rigged on or next to the camera, it doesn't have to be that intricate (although it looks nice :-) I even know a DP who swears by a flashlight. I guess it all depends on what you can get away with.

Vince

Return to posts index

David Amphlett
on Jul 2, 2008 at 4:45:15 pm

you should check out kisslite from Gekko Technology

and yes I must declare bias as I'm the MD

lots in rental in the UK but only just into the US
in sales and rental

used on countless pop videos/promos and feature films

http://www.gekkotechnology.com

regards