FORUMS: list search recent posts

KINOFLO Diva 400 Kits vs LP-1x1 from Litepanels

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
KINOFLO Diva 400 Kits vs LP-1x1 from Litepanels
on Nov 11, 2007 at 6:42:13 pm

I was hoping to get KINOFLO Diva 400 Kits on my next order. However I read a review of the LP-1x1 from Litepanels

http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_item.php?articleId=196603526

and was wondering which people would prefer. I'm looking for these to complement my tweenie 3 light solar spot kit. They are great for both hard and soft light (using chimera soft banks). I am shooting in a limited space location. I haven't tried Eggcrates for the Chimeras yet but I am having problems with shadows being cast on the backgrounds due to space limitations. So I thought some additional lights would help. Plus it would be nice to have low heat/low energy options.

We are using pd170s and find we have adequate light. It's just a matter of fine-tuning control.

Any input would be appreciated

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: KINOFLO Diva 400 Kits vs LP-1x1 from Litepanels
on Nov 11, 2007 at 7:00:52 pm

The Divas are very versatile units, allowing both daylight and tungsten tubing and has a built in dimmer. The LitePanels are also versatile, adding the capability of battery power, which comes in handy when you are on location or need to hide the wire. I think you'll find that they are about the same price (Diva 400), although the Diva is a source of about twice the size, which for your studio application might be an advantage. There is no doubt that LED lighting is coming on fast and so I think you'll see the prices dropping in the near future. My instinct says go Diva, based on your application. You might also look at the Barfly units from Kino Flo especially if you're considering the smaller Diva 200.

JS

Return to posts index

Nino Giannotti
on Nov 12, 2007 at 12:02:56 pm

I really like the Litepanels, I've seen it at work and I played with it at NAB and as we are seeing more LED fixtures coming on the market at reasonable prices or prices compatible to other lights we'll see the Lipanels prices coming down. At this time I would go with the Kino mainly for versatility, unless of course you have a lot of money to spend. The Litepanel is available in either 32k or 56K version and you have to use gel to make the conversion, with Kinos or Lowel Caselight you replace the bulbs so there's no output loss due to gel factors. Also the Litepanel is only a 12x12" light and will not give you the very important wraparound effect that you get with larger lights, the Kino is double that size. Unless of course you can buy two litepanels and used them side by side, they make frames that can accommodate up to 16 (4x4) multi-litepanels light.

Unquestionably there are Litepanels in my future, the battery operated feature is excellent for short location shoot, you see them more and more in use at indoor sport events during halftime where is not practical to run power cords.

Nino

EFPlighting.com

Return to posts index

Bill Southworth
on Nov 17, 2007 at 3:39:18 pm

I've been using the LitePanel 1x1s for awhile and like them alot but I've found them to be better as fills than as a key light in our work. We do a cooking show in restaurant kitchens and I've found the Litepanels on a C-stand arm to be just the ticket for an overhead light over the prep surface. I just recently spent a mint on a set of Dedolight 450w HMIs and 150w spots. These I love big time. I'm using the soft HMI with either the Octabox or a Chimera strip depending on how much space we have. These little Dedolight buggers give out a huge amount of light for their wattage and it's the cleanest light I've seen. I also might suggest checking out the Lowel RifaEx with a fluorescent bulb, for a lower output, lower cost solution. Also, since going to HMIs, I've started just using daylight bulbs or dichroic filters on everything.

Return to posts index

Chiahawk
on Nov 12, 2007 at 6:47:07 pm

I have not used the Litepanels but I DO have a pair of the KinoFlo Diva 400s that I use daily and love them. I'll either use both to light a green screen or a single for a key. I don't have different color temp bulbs so I just gel them if I need to. Good Luck, CH

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Thanks everyone
on Nov 14, 2007 at 2:44:16 am

In summary, it seems the kino's will give more coverage per lamp but the litepanels have the battery option which could come in real handy.

hmmmm.

Return to posts index

Bill Southworth
on Nov 17, 2007 at 4:09:07 pm

We're also shooting in very limited space with limited power. We do cooking shows in small restaurant kitchens. I use LitePanel 1x1s as fills and have been pretty happy with them. They're really great on a C-stand boom to squeeze in as an overhead light (like over a cooking preparation surface). For my key light I use a Dedolight 450w HMI with either an Octabox if there's room or a Chimera medium strip. Then I plant a few Dedo 150s as backlights, etc. I've been using a Litepanel 1x1 as a fill. It's small enough to squeeze into spaces where no other light will go.

Return to posts index

Viet Tran
on Aug 22, 2010 at 5:07:16 pm

I had some LitePanels in a kit and they were not dependable so I sold them. The supposed infinite adjustability became useless in a year and would not be adjustable. They would either go on or off...and it wasn't just on one unit. ALL of the units showed the same symptoms after one year. And I did not get any use from them. I took care of them, never abused them and they just went kaputt. They did fine on some tests for the first few months but after that, they went downhill.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Aug 22, 2010 at 6:01:59 pm

Did you try speaking directly to LitePanels about your problem? Sounds like you had a significant malfunction and they should take care of it.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Viet Tran
on Aug 22, 2010 at 8:24:31 pm

Nah, I didn't bother since I was in Berlin at the time and by the time I foolishly did not fill out the warranty card immediately so the grace period of filling out the card had lapsed. Live and learn. I just posted it on Craigslist and sold it to someone who was willing to work with its problems.

Return to posts index

Ken Thasan
on Oct 8, 2010 at 11:07:19 am

Viet,

I've worked for a dealer for Pro Products (i.e Kino Flo) in Canada for years and I've never had an issue with any of the Pro Manufacturers refusing to honour warranty because the card wasn't filled out. Usually they've only requested the Original receipt to honour the warranty.

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]