FORUMS: list search recent posts

backlight stand

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
backlight stand
on Oct 20, 2007 at 8:30:26 pm

I have a Matthews Hollywood Century C Stand - 40" Double Riser with Grip Head and Arm. I want to attach a Mole Richardson Tweenie Mole Spot to the arm to use as a backlight. What

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: backlight stand
on Oct 21, 2007 at 3:11:57 am

Don't start taking apart your old stands; all you need is a slider with a baby spud to affix to the c-stand arm. This will allow all the pan, tilt and yaw that you need. Be sure and add a sandbag to your kit to keep this rig from falling over and of course, make sure your liability insurance is paid up in full!

JS

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Oct 21, 2007 at 3:56:38 am

Thanks John,

I always add sand bags to the base of my c stands and light stands. I find if I put the handle of the bags over the body of the stands they then saddle bag over the bases really well without sliding off.

Do I need to use a counterweight on the opposite side of the arm and light?

Do I need to use a safety cable and if so where would I attach it?

Could you give me a link or part number for the slider with baby spud? The arm has a grip head on it. Do I need to remove the head first?

What about Matthews magic finger? Is that similar to the slider with spud?

I've looked through various catalogs and have been reading what I can on lighting. However, I would love to see illustrations of equipment in use with references to part numbers and details of how they are assembled.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 22, 2007 at 4:23:36 am

Sandbags good! Safety first - if you are really safe, you'll use a safety chain or nicopressed steel rope to safety anything hanging above a person; just loop it around the pole and the device, use you're common sense.

Here's a MSE part that you can attach to the end of the grip arm (opposite head end): #429232 Right Angle Adapter @ $39 list.

This isn't exactly the round slider I use; I think that's Norms or American hanger, but I couldn't ID it in the American catalog (there's no pictures) and Norms doesn't have a website, but you could call them and ask for ca "slider with baby pin" that will fit a c-stand arm. They'll know what you're talking about.

Magic finger is too heavy and expensive for what we have in mind here. The closest thing in the Mathews catalog is the hanger adapter for the furniture (aka bar clamp) clamp, but that's square not round.

Again, trust your instincts, make mistakes abut learn from them. This is really how everyone else does it!

Good luck,

JS

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Oct 25, 2007 at 5:01:18 am

Thanks John,

I called Matthews. The part below will do the trick. It fits nicely into the grip head that comes with the gobo arm. The collar prevents it from slipping out. Now I just need a less powerful bulb for the light. 650 is too bright at that distance.

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=product&cat=298&products_ID=24096

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]