FORUMS: list search recent posts

Power Requirements?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AnthemWake
Power Requirements?
on Sep 18, 2007 at 5:55:17 pm

Hi All...I'm going to be shooting a very important interview next month, but it will be in a room in a hotel that I am totally unfamiliar with. I want to make sure that there won't be any problems with the power and that I'm not going to blow any circuits. I'll be lighting with a 3-light Lowel DV Creator kit and I want to know what questions to ask the hotel ahead of time.

I have no experience with electric work, so I'm not sure what I need to know. Do I ask how many available watts I will have? How many different circuits are available? Any help would be great, as I am totally in the dark (haha) about this. Thanks...

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Power Requirements?
on Sep 18, 2007 at 7:20:25 pm

Doing a proper job as a video cinematographer requires some understanding of electricity and it's use in practical locations.

First off, you must know how many watts (volts x amps) your light use and the total current required with the intended kit.

Working in a hotel, it's often a good idea to interface with the staff electrician and have him show you where the fuse box is and have him determine how many circuits and of what capacity will be available. In conference rooms and ballrooms they can often provide additional circuits on a temporary basis, but not usually in regular rooms and suites, but it is safe to say that even the smallest hotel room will have two circuits, one in the room itself and the other in the bathroom, of at least 15 amps each.

The use of practical locations and available power is one of the main reasons that small HMI's (200 and 400 watts)and Kino Flo fluorescent fixtures have become so popular and the quartz lights, like the Lowell kit you mention are so out of favor.

JS

Return to posts index

HowDoYouDoThat
Re: Power Requirements?
on Oct 1, 2007 at 11:54:05 pm

Like John said most hotel room have two circuits. One in main room and one in bathroom. They will either be 15 or 20 amp circuits.

Smartest thing to do is check with hotel mainteance or electrician. And when checking find out where breakers are for room your using.

Simple rule.

1000w light equals 10 amps.
500w light equals 5 amps.
Monitor about 2-3 amps.
If your in a hotel room with 30 amps total you do the math.

If your using 1k lights figure on only 1 and nothing else on that cicuit as they tend to heat things up quickly.

I use kinos and JOKERS so 30 amps is more than enough for standard talking head.

Also, be wary of sprinkler heads in the rooms, big wattage means heat and sprinklers don't like heat.

Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]