FORUMS: list search recent posts

CL-255 Fluorescents by Cool Lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
N.Adam.Smith
CL-255 Fluorescents by Cool Lights
on Jul 19, 2007 at 3:39:21 am

I'm building a kit on a budget and as part of it I'd planned on picking up a Lowel Rifa 88 (1k) popup soft light, but then I saw a link to this:

CL-255 Cool Lights 2x55 watt Fluorescent Video Soft Light
http://www.coollights.biz/cl255-cool-lights-watt-fluorescent-video-soft-lig...

Any opinions? At $170 for a 500w fluorescent light I can easily pick up two including some good c-stands and a case for less than the one Rifa. Obviously at 16lbs they're not as portable nor fast to set up, but having a pair of nice cool low-draw lights would be great and give me a bit more flexibility with the rest of the kit (which would likely be tungsten Lowel DP's at 250-500w).

I'm motivated by the fact that I want decent light but less draw, seeing as I'm often shooting in places where I fear firing up 2k+ watts without something going down.

This will be a starter kit for glamour, salon, tradeschool and location spots, at some point I may need bigger floods but I've got around $2200 to spend and that's it for now.

-Adam

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: CL-255 Fluorescents by Cool Lights
on Jul 19, 2007 at 2:58:09 pm

Actually... yes, Richard at Cool Lights is a really great guy and he builds good products. He's one of a couple out there who are making what are basically "Kino Clones," but I have to say that from what I've seen his are the best made of the clones... and happen to be by far the cheapest, to boot. No, I'm not on his payroll... just like his products.

What is even more exciting is that he is also working on a line of affordable HMIs... I've traded quite a few emails with him lately about those... they are not quite ready for unveiling yet, but when they get here they should be pretty nice... and nice on the wallet.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

N.Adam.Smith
Re: CL-255 Fluorescents by Cool Lights
on Jul 19, 2007 at 9:39:34 pm

Killer, thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a few of these instead of the big Rifa... at the price it means I can get a them plus few C-stands and have a total of 7 lights instead of 5.

-Adam

--
Video Photographer / Avid Editor
Maximus Media Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]