FORUMS: list search recent posts

Posing manikin

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond Motion Pictures
Posing manikin
on Jul 12, 2007 at 1:52:42 pm

Anyone have a good source for realistic, full-sized, Posing manikins? I'm doing some test shots and don't want to tie up a human being for hours on end...

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Posing manikin
on Jul 12, 2007 at 2:38:04 pm

Extremely realistic, and museum quality (lifelike) mannequins are expensive, and it would be cheaper to hire a union extra to stand-in for your lighting tests.
Inexpensive mannequins (that are just made for "holding clothes" can be bought from Supply Store Warehouse @ (800)823-8887, http://www.storesupply.com.
That being said, using a frozen, "dummy" for lighting tests is not really a good idea -- no matter how much make-up you put on it!
The breathing, moving, "dummies", with real flesh and eyes, are always the way to go.
Call your local university theatre and film department. You'll find there are students who won't mind standing in .....for the experience of learning from the process.

DS

Return to posts index

Nino Giannotti
on Jul 13, 2007 at 2:59:01 pm

I used a mannequin to demonstrate lighting throughout my web site at EFPlighting.com I would have preferred to use a real person but because of time restrictions some of those demos took me several days to complete and using a human was not an option. It worked well and "Shirley" has become part of the site.

Go to http://www.mannequinstore.com/index.htm also do a web search for mannequins and you'll be surprised of how many suppliers are out there.
Also check out Ebay

Nino

http://www.EFPlighting.com

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
on Jul 13, 2007 at 10:25:00 pm

Hi Nino,

I enjoy your site - bravo! Keep up the good work!

Question: What model is 'Shirley'? Is she just a torso set on a stool?

Here's my reason for using a manikin - we have a number of complicated shots with a dolly on curved track in some - between focus pulls, audio and lighting (talent and background) I need lots of footage to analyze and then perfect with live talent. We are constantly moving things around in sculpting the scenes. It's too much to ask a person not to move for lengthy periods, etc. I need a dummy!

Return to posts index

Nino Giannotti
on Jul 14, 2007 at 12:02:14 am

I found the company on Ebay, it's the "HD Mannequin Supply" search under full size mannequins. Shirley is a full size mannequin but I propped only the top half on a chair. It was the cheapest one that I found and the one that looked more realistic, I believe the model number is the AU-10

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
on Jul 14, 2007 at 11:22:56 pm

Thanks Nino, I took a look - those are great prices. Again, thanks for the lead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]