FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dark Scenes

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
Dark Scenes
on Jun 28, 2007 at 5:45:49 pm

Often times one might want a portion of the frame to be very dark (an example might be a horror night scene). However, in my experience, when I do not light a portion of the frame and leave it dark the image gets grainy. How to I atchieve this without getting grain in the shot. Do I light it all and iris down. A little help would be appreciated.

Mike

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Dark Scenes
on Jun 29, 2007 at 3:07:12 am

The trick lies in the use of edge light on your subject and judicious textural lighting of your background. You need to provide highly selective visual information while keeping light off the subject that you want dark.

DS

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Jun 29, 2007 at 11:49:07 am

Do dark areas get noisy or grainy? Is this fixed in post? My question is about the dark portion of the frame, it seems even the best cameras need light to produce a solid image. I am using a Sony F350 if that helps.

Mike

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jun 29, 2007 at 4:36:00 pm

Mike,

Your F350 is causing the problem.
It is a noisy camera as I have tested it out in a similar lighting scene as you describe.

In addition the IT CCD sensor streaks vertically when a light is aimed directly into the lens.

The vertically streaking is by far the worst I have ever seen in any IT chip camera as it breaks up into into smaller segments instead of a straight vertical single line.

Overall I was quite disappointed with the image quality of the F350 when compared to other camera at the same or close selling price point.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Jun 29, 2007 at 9:38:06 pm

even with gain set at 0?

peter

http://www.shootingbynumbers.com

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 9, 2007 at 5:15:22 pm

Mike, the subjects of night scenes are usually lit and manual settings of the camera set for the lit areas of the frame. Zoom in on the subject, put the cam on auto, then lock down those setting by switching to manual. See what you think of these settings and adjust from there. If there are dark portions of the frame and the cam is left on auto it might be over compensating thus creating the grainy image. If this is not the case and you are manually setting everything then I'd guess you need more light on the subject. Do a search for

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]