FORUMS: list search recent posts

on-camera light

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
on-camera light
on Jun 22, 2007 at 5:36:38 pm

I have an on-camera Ultralight with a power lead that works fine with an Anton Bauer "PowerTap." This was a great little light for my old Betacam.

Enter the Sony Z1. I need an on-camera light for my Z1, and would appreciate advice about finding another on-camera light which will run off a camera battery plugged directly into it. Or, is there a way to power my Ultralight?

Should I look at the Litepanels unit? Rather pricey, and the daylight color temperature might be more problematic than problem-solving. Somehow I doubt it would have enough oomph to contribute in daylight settings, and if I use it for interiors I'd have to be switching color temperature filters on the camera every time I turned the light on. (And, what is the deal with infrared Litepanels?)

Thanks for any insights.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: on-camera light
on Jun 22, 2007 at 9:31:01 pm

Hey Bob....

Sorry I can't speak exactly to your Z1 since I shoot Canon XLH1... but maybe you can apply the same theory.

We don't power our camera with the l'il Canon batteries, we power it with A/B bricks. Canon makes a goldmount adapter that attaches to the back of the camera, which allows usage of bricks and converts the voltage down to 7.2 for the camera's usage. And yes, like most goldmounts, it has the Anton Bauer "power tap." I've never used it to power a lighting instrument, but I do use it to power a teleprompter on occassion.

I don't know if the Z1 has a similar goldmount adapter available, but if so, that'd be one solution. Yes, it would add size and weight to the little Z1, but that might not be a bad thing... and I think you would enjoy having the extra power, too. One full-sized A/B brick will power my camera AND P+S Technik converter AND teleprompter all day and more (even though I always travel with at least three batteries I have NEVER exhaused even one).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: on-camera light
on Jun 22, 2007 at 10:28:11 pm

At 6 3/4" x 2 1/4" by 1 1/4" deep, you can't go wrong with a Mini Plus Lite Panel. They pack quite a punch and you can easily change the color temperature of the light source. I use them often, and they're slowly replacing the Min-Kino Flo (or the much more power consumptive 100w tungsten with Micro-Chimera) as my eyelight of choice. Their "big brother", the 1'x1' Lite Panel is rapidly becoming one of my favorite fixtures. I'm using 50 of them on a studio project I'm currently designing. I recent designed the lighting for Discovery Channel's MOST HAUNTED LIVE (7 hours of LIVE TV) and the Lite Panels bailed me out repeatedly. We also used infra red LED's for the Night Vision sequences.

DS

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
thanks - eyelight?
on Jun 28, 2007 at 12:38:58 am

[Dennis Size] "you can't go wrong with a Mini Plus Lite Panel."

Thanks Dennis. That sounds pretty neat.

You mentioned using a Litepanel as an eyelight. How to use the eyelight is a topic I'd like to know more about. I have sometimes used a 100 watt fresnel, but haven't been crazy about the results. I may need to use a broader and dimmer source.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: thanks - eyelight?
on Jun 29, 2007 at 3:16:50 am

Check out the literature on their website. Litepanels MiniPlus will do everything you want.
I use the 1' x 1' "spot" Lite Panels as keylights and eyelights when I require a longer throw distance. Currently, I'm using almost 50 on a studio project I'm designing.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]