FORUMS: list search recent posts

50Hz lights with 60Hz camera

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
50Hz lights with 60Hz camera
on May 18, 2007 at 12:57:55 am

Hi Lighting Pros,

I'm off to Estonia next week to shoot a concert, and will also shoot a couple of doc interviews in 1080i/60 format. We'll be borrowing lights from the Estonian crew for our interviews.

Should I anticipate any flicker problem with tungsten sources running at 50 cycles? I will carefully avoid any fluorescent lamps, but would like to know if the tungsten lights will be okay.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: 50Hz lights with 60Hz camera
on May 18, 2007 at 11:46:24 pm

There should be no problem with tungsten fixtures.

Unlike HMI or flo ballasts you do not have to worry about whether tungsten fixtures are "flicker free."

Tungsten fixtures... unlike flos or HMIs... simply do not flicker. The simple reason is that the hot tungsten filament continues to glow for an instant even after power is interrupted. The glow basically "bridges" the cycle, whether it be 50, 60 or whatever.

Then again, I suppose if the cycle was 1 or 10, yeah, they'd flicker. But not with a modern power system like 50 or 60 cycles.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

David Smith
Re: 50Hz lights with 60Hz camera
on May 19, 2007 at 1:36:40 am

Thank you Todd, that makes perfect sense. Someone put a bug in the client's ear about this, so I figured I'd best check it out to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]