FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloth "scrim" to cut intensity of background

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill @ UGA
Cloth "scrim" to cut intensity of background
on Apr 26, 2007 at 5:20:55 pm


I'm shoppin' for a cloth "scrim," perhaps ten feet tall by fifteen feet long, that I can hang from an awning behind my subject. The purpose is to, as invisibly as possible, cut the intensity of the background. What do you call this stuff and who sells it?

I've used basic black or dark green Army-Navy netting to lay down on driveways that are too hot outside a window in the background, but I want something to hang up perhaps ten feet behind a podium in an exterior setting.



Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Cloth "scrim" to cut intensity of background
on Apr 26, 2007 at 6:02:37 pm


I often use a "single net" stretched in a frame like a 12x12' for this purpose. Although it in theory only cuts a half a stop of exposure, because it's a black object in the shot it seems to control more than that. You must be careful that it does not create moire patterns as a heavier (ie double net) would and that it's stretched taught in the frame. Furthermore you have to control direct light and sunlight off of it as that will illuminate the black and reduce the darkening effect. In conclusion, I'd recommend this professional material rather than any old cloth you might pickup at the textile store, inless you're going for an "effect".


Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Cloth "scrim" to cut intensity of background
on Apr 27, 2007 at 2:02:50 am

John's solution is great, but here is an ultra-low-budget alternative.

For the occasional shot of sports broadcasters in the ballpark booth, showing the field behind them, tv crews put ordinary black fiberglass window screen in front of the window, and a small HMI on the subject.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Cloth "scrim" to cut intensity of background
on Apr 27, 2007 at 3:03:02 am

ROSEBRAND Theatrical Fabrics in New York City is who I use. ( (800) 223-1624.

My personal favorite -- although expensive -- is Black SHARKSTOOTH SCRIM, which is available in 35' widths and sold by the yard.

I use the much cheaper black BOBBINETTE everywhere ...from cutting down exterior light coming through windows to in front of light boxes to reduce glare (and fluoro intensity). It's available in 10' and 30' widths, sold by the yard.
When I'm on a really tight budget I'll even use black TEXTILENE -- but it only comes in 54" and 98" widths.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved