Silk tip, interesting find

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Silk tip, interesting find
on Apr 24, 2007 at 4:16:07 am

Hey gang:

Just thought the group might find this interesting and possibly useful:

I've been meaning to buy a new medium sized butterfly silk for quite a while, like a 6x6. The only one we have that size is a full-stop, and often times it is too much.

Well, I drove the old lady to a sewing/fabric shop over the weekend. I was wandering around in there while she was shopping and found this material that is usually used for shower curtains. It's translucent, almost clear but not quite. I bought some, and grommeted the perimeter and it's a GREAT light silk (haven't put a meter to it yet, but I'm betting it's only about 1/4 stop, maybe 1/2), and treats sunlight beautifully...it's soft but still with a very slight "direct sun" look.

Best part, it was $1.96 a yard.

I don't much like to make homemade stuff much any more (I made too many things in the early days, I'm tired enough that I'd generally just rather buy the real thing), but the price sure beats giving Matthews a couple hundred bucks.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Silk tip, interesting find
on Apr 25, 2007 at 5:03:20 pm

Great tip. Nothing wrong with fabric store lighting. I have a whole video with a Halloween-themed black backdrop in it -- very dark and out of focus, or else you'd see little witches flying around on brooms.

Pre-Chimera, cameramen used to put their open-faced lights behind a shower curtain to light an interview.

Good idea.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Apr 25, 2007 at 9:00:06 pm

[Bob Cole] "Pre-Chimera, cameramen used to put their open-faced lights behind a shower curtain to light an interview."

Very true.... I remember in my early "dirt poor" days making my own butterfly frames out of conduit and my own rags out of white garbage bags. Looking back, it worked pretty well. Ahhh, nostalgia.

The thing I found so interesting about this shower curtain material from the fabric store is that it was six feet wide... and as long as you like (I could have bought a continuous piece 100' long if I'd needed).... AND cheap enough to just toss after a shoot if you wanted something temporary.

Shoot on!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

cow
Bob Cole
on Apr 25, 2007 at 9:18:40 pm

[Todd at Fantastic Plastic] "this shower curtain material from the fabric store"

Does this material have a name?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]